We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

halifax credit card 42% apr increase

I was appalled to receive a letter from Halifax saying that they are increasing the APR on my credit card from 11.94% to 16.94%. Thats an increase of 42%.

I've phoned them but they are saying its a business decision and there is nothing they can do. They reccomended I transfer my balance to another credit card provider! I've never missed a payment in the 4 years I've been with them.

I think this is disgusting customer service from a company owned in part by the tax payer.

Comments

  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    It looks a good rate still in the current climate. Much better than the rates people are getting on MBNA cards.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • Its the huge increase thats upset me though, I just don't understand how they can justify that big an increase.
  • bunny999
    bunny999 Posts: 970 Forumite
    BenL wrote: »
    It looks a good rate still in the current climate. Much better than the rates people are getting on MBNA cards.

    I've got 0% on MBNA
  • sdooley
    sdooley Posts: 918 Forumite
    It's a huge increase in percentage terms, not necessarily a huge increase in absolute terms. On a £1,000 revolving balance that'd be an extra £50 per year - a lot, but if you're revolving every month you should really consider a loan rather than a credit card at the moment. The bigger problem will be if credit limits are cut.
  • BenL
    BenL Posts: 3,189 Forumite
    Maybe their computer has decided that you have a 42% extra risk of being made redundant this year?
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • clio
    clio Posts: 3,345 Forumite
    how does that work out at 42 % to me it reads a 5% a year increase!
  • Badly written on my part!

    yes it is a 5% a year increase but 5 is also 42% of 11.94.

    Still not happy. I'm going to transfer to a virgin card. Thats the last time I use a halifax product.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    pompski wrote: »
    Still not happy. I'm going to transfer to a virgin card.
    They've done you a favour then? There are lots of cards giving at least 12 months 0% for a 3% fee...why pay 12% APR on your debt? :confused:
    Thats the last time I use a halifax product.
    Nose...spite...face?
  • That must be why the system at Halifax has been down all day, putting in the increases.
  • TFD_2
    TFD_2 Posts: 907 Forumite
    pompski wrote: »
    Still not happy. I'm going to transfer to a virgin card. Thats the last time I use a halifax product.

    And when MBNA put the interest up on your Virgin card, will you blacklist MBNA as well! You might run out of banks in a few years...

    Credit card companies do this - most of them have being putting rates increases in recently, and yours seems one of the less dramatic ones!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.