Incapacity Benefit & Free health Stuff ???

Options
Hello - ive never written on here before and there are so many threads that i am probably repeating something already asked many times but.....

I have been on Incapacity Ben. and DLA for a long time and have always wondered if i am actually entitled to free prescriptions , eye tests and dental care. If i am honest i have always filled in the forms saying i was on Income Support because there never seems to be a box that fits me.
I find now that i am getting paranoid - which ironically is part of my illness - that i am doing something illegal.
I dont understand how i can not be eligible for free health stuff when i actually require medication as part of my illness.
Does anyone know if i am totally in the wrong or if i am just being an idiot?

I should say i have not meant to defraud or behave badly but i cant afford to pay for these things!

Comments

• krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    I'm afraid that Incapacity benefit alone doesn't entitle you to free prescriptions or dental care as far as I know.

When my husband was on IB but needed lots of medications we used to buy a pre paid certificate.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are not entitled to Income Support (you can get this checked at the CAB) or entitled to free prescriptions etc for some other reason what you have been doing is illegal and is fraud. You may get free or reduced charges if you are on a low income but you need to apply for this.
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    I receive DLA and IB but as a result of the extra premiums get IS too. You should check if you can get this top-up benefit.
  • singlehouseholder
    Options
    get in touch with the Prescription Pricing Authority, sure if you apply for a HC1, which can be done online, you will qualify for assistance as IB is a low income.
    RIP Floyd - 19/04/09. I know i'll see you again my best friend forever.

19/06/2013 T12 incomplete Paraplegia, down but not out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure