Disabilty Premium - who qualifies?

Options
Disability Premium -who qualifies? (I have also put this question on the Disability & Dosh Forum, as I am not sure where exactly it was best to put it)
Hello, I have tried looking for the answer on a few websites but am going round in circles, so hoping some kind soul here could explain/help me to understand.

I am trying to work out if my husband should be entitled to Disability Premium.

He has been on IB and DLA for more than a year now. The last correspondence I can find regarding his IB is from February 2008 and says the following: Basic Rate £84.50, Incapacity Age Addition £8.90, the amount each week before adjustments is £93.40. He gets paid £186.80 each fortnight. His DLA is £187 every 4 weeks.

Am I right in assuming that he should then also be entitled to Disability Premium? :confused: From what I can make out he might, because he is on higher rate DLA and has been receiving these benefits for more than 52 weeks. Does anybody know how much this is and how he should apply, i.e. via his DLA or via his IB?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Carol.

Comments

• stazi
    stazi Posts: 1,295 Forumite
    Options
    To be entitled to a DP you have to be entitled to Income Support (IS). IS is a means tested benefit.
  • specsappeal
    Options
    a disability premium can also be paid if he works and you get working tax credits. this disability premium is paid with the working tax credit.
  • Hello Carol,

I don't think there are any other additions or premiums with IB.

There would be a disability premium if your husband received Income Support or Housing Benefit.

Check this guide from Welfare Rights

http://www.welfarerights.net/guides/incapacity.html

Regards

Munchie
  • cazziej
    cazziej Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    stazi wrote: »
    To be entitled to a DP you have to be entitled to Income Support (IS). IS is a means tested benefit.

We are not entitled to IS as I work.

Thanks, Carol
  • cazziej
    Options
    a disability premium can also be paid if he works and you get working tax credits. this disability premium is paid with the working tax credit.

Thanks for the reply.

He doesn't work (he isn't fit to). I work though but I get, I think, Child Tax Credits, not Working Tax Credits.

Best wishes

Carol
  • cazziej
    Options
    Hello Carol,

I don't think there are any other additions or premiums with IB.

There would be a disability premium if your husband received Income Support or Housing Benefit.

Check this guide from Welfare Rights

http://www.welfarerights.net/guides/incapacity.html

Regards

Munchie

Thanks Munchie, will check that site out now. Doesn't look like he will be entitled though, we don't qualify for IS and we don't receive Housing Benefit.

Best wishes

Carol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family