Fire Alarm Keeps Beeping

Options
I have a house with 3 floors and the Fire Alarm has work with no problems, until now!!

I have just changed the batteries (once per year) and I now cannot stop the alarm beeping. I have put the old batteries back in and it still beeps.
The polarity is correct
I have pressed the test button and that seems fine
The house is not on fire;)

Please help or I shall be up all night trying to get it out of my head:confused:

Please help

Comments

• credit_crunch_victim
    Options
    sounds like they are mains supply as well
    see if you have tripped the rcd when you swapped the batteries over
    remember it is nice to be important
    but more important to be nice ;)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Most have a 'tamper' alarm.

Mine has a 'tamper' code that I need enter in after I have opened the control unit, to reset.
  • spookylukey
    Options
    Do you mean beeping as in a a beep every 10 mins or so or beeping as in going off continuously as if there were a fire?

In my old house the smoke alarms were mains wired and also had a battery back up. It started beeping every 10 mins or so one day so I changed the battery but it continued to beep at regular intervals and even went off fully a few times randomly in the middle of the night. I googled the model (from a label on it) and came across the user manual where it said that this could be caused by a build up of dust on the sensor, hoovered it and the beeping and random going off in the middle of the night stopped!
  • squirt
    squirt Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Looneygooner, I had the same problem and believe it or not it was down to the wrong BRANDof battery! Check where the battery goes, in mine said it HADto be a Duracell or Ever Ready PP9 and that other brands may cause problems, let alone sleepless nights! When I fitted a Duracell PP9 it beeped once and has been fine since

squirt
  • loonygooner
    Options
    squirt wrote: »
    Looneygooner, I had the same problem and believe it or not it was down to the wrong BRANDof battery! Check where the battery goes, in mine said it HADto be a Duracell or Ever Ready PP9 and that other brands may cause problems, let alone sleepless nights! When I fitted a Duracell PP9 it beeped once and has been fine since

squirt

Thanks for all the advice above and I had already usd the vacumm to suck dust out, hair dryer to blow dust out and in the end changed the bateries from Duracell to a 'lesser' brand and guess what, they worked:confused:

Have no idea why Duracell don't work and a local shop brand do, but have informed the builders of the fact in case anyone else has the same problem.

Thanks guys, another satisfied customer....
  • space_rider
    space_rider Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    Looney, House next door to me has been bleeping for days now. They keep themselves to themselves and don`t seem particularly friendly but if it lasts another week I`ll mention it to them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure