Hi can anyone help re housing benefit

Options
Hi all, just moved into a new house, and I am on income support so getting housing benefit and council tax benefit.
I have just recieved a letter saying that my rent is £90 a week, and will be paid 4 weekly.
I also have a letter saying council tax is £14.31 weekly from 2nd Jan - 1st April, and an amount of £182 has been credited to my council tax account for this financial year.

But I have also recieved a cheque, it says remittance advice, for £128.57. But there is no letter with this.
What is it for does anybody know?
The lines i've highlighted in bold are the parts I don't understand!
many thanks

Comments

• lindsaygalaxy
    Options
    housing benefit is paid in arrears, it may be from your claim at your previous address.
    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • kimboleah
    Options
    housing benefit is paid in arrears, it may be from your claim at your previous address.
    thanks but i lived with my mum before i moved here so didn't get housing benefit
  • okra
    okra Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    OK, council tax first. 2nd Jan to 31 Mar is 12 weeks and 5 days, and as the property is a new tenancy (assuming you applied when you moved in etc) they will pay you from the day you moved in. So 14.31/week for 12 weeks and 5 days is 181.94. So that seems about right to me. They will credit that amount to your Ctax account and then the council tax department should send you a new bill showing what you owe, or that you owe nothing.

Or are you questioning the 14.31 amount? Could it be that the benefits dept. has sorted out a 25% discount for you if you are the sole adult, reducing your weekly liability to 14.31?

As for the 128.57 cheque, it is exactly one week and three days of full housing benefit at 90/wk. Which seems right if you moved in on Friday the 2nd, as it would cover Fri, Sat, and Sun, and then the whole of the following week up til the 11th of Jan, and the next cheque would arrive four weeks after that.

This is only a guess, though, obviously you'd ahve to call them and ask to know for certain :)
  • kimboleah
    Options
    okra wrote: »
    OK, council tax first. 2nd Jan to 31 Mar is 12 weeks and 5 days, and as the property is a new tenancy (assuming you applied when you moved in etc) they will pay you from the day you moved in. So 14.31/week for 12 weeks and 5 days is 181.94. So that seems about right to me. They will credit that amount to your Ctax account and then that council tax department should send you a new bill showing what you owe, or that you owe nothing.

Or are you questioning the 14.31 amount? Could it be that the benefits dept. has sorted out a 25% discount for you if you are the sole adult, reducing your weekly liability to 14.31?

As for the 128.57 cheque, it is exactly one week and three days of full housing benefit at 90/wk. Which seems right if you moved in on Friday the 2nd, as it would cover Fri, Sat, and Sun, and then the whole of the following week up til the 11th of Jan, and the next cheque would arrive four weeks after that.

This is only a guess, though, obviously you'd ahve to call them and ask to know for certain :)
    thanks a lot that makes sense :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport