Sky Talk Now Offering Free Phone Line Connection.

Options
2»

Comments

• iceburn
    iceburn Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I have been a Cabetel aka NTL aka Virginmedia customer for ages, and like just recently when we called up to cancelled they were saying the same as above about copper lines, slow internet, etc...

But here is things at least I found myself.

Copper Lines = who cares...... It can go on mud as long as it works. But also you do know Virgin is not using 100% fibre Optics, it is copper from exchange to house. Just like what BT is becoming now (they are lying Fibre Optics to exchange) Something like that. I know Virgin has been reported to ASA about that statement.

Slow internet - It is all well and good having 2/4/10/20/50mb connection but if they do not have the backbone to support it, its again pointless. A way to highlight it is in simple terms.

Sky might offer you 4mb connection and virgin offer you 10mb connection. So on surface it seem virgin is faster. "WRONG". Cause they do not add any more lanes on the backbone. So what happens as they add more ppl to the network, it gets block. So like M25 at rush hour, you might in theory can go 70mph, you be luckly to go over 10mph. But Sky add other lane as demand requires, hence ok your original speed would be like an A road at 50MPH, but you will get this constantly.

Rubbish HD channels? Virgin offering is even worse!!!!

No set-top box warranty. Wrong.... Firstly might not need it cause unlike Virgin they are not crap and never work (reason why we disconnected in the end cause no matter how often they replace it, could never get a complete service, ie picture would either always freeze, on-demand would not work etc.. Had to lose a day to wait and spend few £££ calling them up, etc. you get a warranty from sky for the first year. Can if you want pay for extra to have extended warranty after the first year, it is most often included in household insurance. But also if you want can do what most people do, after the first year if it break down, call up Sky and say you want to disconnect due to the box not working and you have to pay £30, and they will nearly always fix it for free to keep you.

Also about the line rental, Virgin is actually one that do not "include line rental". Like the broadband deal see advertise "only £4.50 a month, when taken out with a virgin line" in small print. What is the deal you got with virgin? If you are 450metres from the BT exchange I am assuming you are talking about, it will be near the top end of the speed you will get, so you can throw "slow internet right out the window." And you mention one bit why VM is also slow "Its famous Traffic management." Anyway we are moving away from the topic heading now, so best either do future conversation in other topic or by PM. But in summary the end bit is what make the sky offer worth it as well in the long term. "Finally getting a BT phone line and will open up a whole world of ISP." If you take the offer from SKY you are saving £125 to get that for the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure