🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

budget airline booking scam

Options
While searching a well known budget airline (lets call it bee-mmm-eye newborn child)

I found the following con
book a flight for one person it cost £50
book same flight for more than one person its £60 each, a £10 premium, for booking at the same time what a con!

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,718 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    big_ste wrote:
    While searching a well known budget airline (lets call it bee-mmm-eye newborn child)

I found the following con
    book a flight for one person it cost £50
    book same flight for more than one person its £60 each, a £10 premium, for booking at the same time what a con!

Lots of them do this, it means there is only one seat left at £50 and the next one is £60. Book em one at a time then you should get one at each price, as long s the second one is still there ;-)

Prices go up as the number of seats remaining go down.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Always clear the cookies from your internet browser and search for one adult when doing initial enquiries.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • big_ste
    big_ste Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    i'll try that tip thanks, but it is on every flight no matter how far in advance you book it.
    Will try others to see if its a common con. Its nothing to do with seat availability as its the same on every flight i've tried.
  • pin
    pin Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks as though you may have to try and book the flights seperatly in two different bookings.

BTW I think this is a common occerance with most airline bookings.
    "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" - Mahatma Gandhi
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    big_ste wrote:
    i'll try that tip thanks, but it is on every flight no matter how far in advance you book it.

Not true! Try 24 to 27 Feb BHX-ALC.
  • hammy_the_hammer
    Options
    i've just looked at man to palma in june and 1st flight i looked at there's no difference like les d said. 2 people travel for twice the price of a single. i know as has been said before that so many seats are allocated at a certain price...once you go into the next price band all seats are charged at the higher price (that's my understanding and how i've found it with easyjet ) all you can do is book them 1 at a time if you're bothered
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    ThomsonFly ran this tactic a few months ago when selling their 1p flights. You could book one at 1p, but if you wanted 2 they were both £19.99.

We simply booked a 1p one and then a £19.99 one, so got two for £20 to Barcelona. They were also getting their money back by having all the return flights at about £50+. We decided to book one way and wait for the return flights to come down in price. Got our returns a couple of weeks ago for £20 each too!

It's all about tactics, I suppose. Some people would be afraid to leave the return flights off the booking, but it certainly paid off for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport