LloydsTSB Shares

Options
Any thoughts on what the impact of the LTSB-HBOS merger is likely to have upon the LloydsTSB share value, which rallied on Friday & particularly on Monday (peaked around 145) but has gone into freefall these past 2 days (closed at 117.2).

Comments

• tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    I suspect the Lloyds freefall was more a function of the Deutsche Bank and HSBC news than anything else, banks are about to feel wave two of the pain.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • baby_boomer
    baby_boomer Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Even though they are already breaking up on the rocks!
  • wary
    wary Posts: 789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tradetime wrote: »
    I suspect the Lloyds freefall was more a function of the Deutsche Bank and HSBC news than anything else, banks are about to feel wave two of the pain.

You don't think it is a good idea to buy LTSB shares just yet then?
  • tradetime
    Options
    wary wrote: »
    You don't think it is a good idea to buy LTSB shares just yet then?
    Matters little what I think mate, I'm just a bloke on a bb, would be foolish investing strat that placed too much weight on my opinions. Personally I wouldn't touch them, for the average investor it's a shot in the dark, I'd rather play roulette. Even for the professional investor with all the resources available to him he can't reliably determine the risk to any given bank. If you're a gambler, go for it, but know the risk and position size accordingly.

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • ghostbusters
    Options
    Agree with OP . I know a number of people who have brought shares in HBOS at 80-90p on the basis that HBOS would trade at a discount to the offer of 0.6 Lloyds TSB shares till close , and they expected a 'guaranteed gain'
    . I think i would steer clear of this merger as I certainly wouldnt even like to hazard a guess what may happen particularly at HBOS

Andy Hornby/ Adam Crozier- would you like them running your firm?
  • wary
    wary Posts: 789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tradetime wrote: »
    Matters little what I think mate, I'm just a bloke on a bb, would be foolish investing strat that placed too much weight on my opinions.
    Nevertheless your words of caution are already proving wise as LTSB shares are already down 3.5% today!
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wary wrote: »
    Nevertheless your words of caution are already proving wise as LTSB shares are already down 3.5% today!
    Yep & they'll be up again in a few weeks & down again....
    But in the long term one of these downs WILL almost certainly be the bottom.
    And you'll look back in a few years and won't believe how cheap they were... and what a no brainer it was to bag a bargain:doh:

But which dip? Well if we knew that.....
  • tradetime
    Options
    When the FTSE hits 3000, they might be worth a look.

• opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
  • baby_boomer
    baby_boomer Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, as taxpayers, we've all increased our "stake" in Lloyds TSB today without lifting a finger!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure