1899 line quality

Options
I am a relatively new user with an Orchid dialler. I have a main provider (Nildram) and no problem there. Yesterday I tried to dial an 0870 number using 1899, and there was a constant beeping on the line - I tried several times and gave up. Tonight I dialled a local number, also on 1899, and the person at the other end could hardly hear me.

Is this kind of experience normal?

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    No, extremely rare.

I use 1899 for all my weekday, daytime calls and have only once had a problem (faint outgoing).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    No not had any problems like that, only occasionally network busy.

Aren't 1899 dearer for calls to 0870 numbers?
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    BexTech wrote:
    Aren't 1899 dearer for calls to 0870 numbers?
    7p/minute at all times (so, weekdays, they're 0.51p/minute cheaper than BT).

But 1899's 3p connection charge means they're no cheaper unless the call is more than 6 minutes.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • IanYoung
    Options
    Many thanks for the reassuring feedback - I have filed a couple of fault reports and I will see what happens. I will report back :p .
  • fbrj
    fbrj Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IanYoung wrote:
    I am a relatively new user with an Orchid dialler. I have a main provider (Nildram) and no problem there. Yesterday I tried to dial an 0870 number using 1899, and there was a constant beeping on the line - I tried several times and gave up. Tonight I dialled a local number, also on 1899, and the person at the other end could hardly hear me.

Is this kind of experience normal?

If you dial 0870 you should really use www.18185.co.uk (a sister company to 1899). Their peak rate call rate is 4p/min plus 4p connection. can be easily set up with your Orchid dialler......(and, if relevant, 0845 nos should be dialled with Dialwise at 2p/min)

I have been using 1899 for about a year. I cannot recall ever having a problem with them. Initially I used them mainly for landline to mobile calls and some international. Now (owing to changes in charging rates between 18866, 1899 and 18185) I use them for only all my peak rate calls to 01/02 nos. 18185 now handles all my calls to mobiles....
  • IanYoung
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on the rates - I will have to get a bit more streetwise :o .
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    was the constant beeping not indicating it was a taped line at the place you were calling?
  • IanYoung
    Options
    Woby_Tide wrote:
    was the constant beeping not indicating it was a taped line at the place you were calling?

I could not hear the beeping, but the listener could. I called back, not using 1899 and there was no problem.

Anyway, following my fault report I received this mail from 1899:

"Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. Due to the complexity of some connections, technical problems may occur. This type of fault is mostly temporary, please try again later.

We hope this has answered your question.

Should you have any further queries about Call1899 please visit our list of Frequently Asked Questions http://www.call1899.co.uk/faq.php

Kind regards,
    Call1899 Customer Services
    http://www.call1899.co.uk"

which is polite and so on, but does nothing for me. I had expected that there might be something wrong at my local exchange - but maybe I don't know what I am talking about :( .

I am going over to 18185 for the moment, as per the advice given, and will see how that works out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure