Why are my upstairs radiators always on??

Options
Hello,

I've recently bought and moved into a new house, and amongst the various curiosities to get used to is the heating.

The boiler can be set to 'Off', 'Hot water only', or 'Hot water and Heating'.

I would have expected that when on 'Hot water only' this means I would get hot water out my hot tap, but the radiators would be off - which is exactly the case downstairs... upstairs however all the radiators seem to be permanently on and I've no idea why..

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Pete

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is probably caused by Thermal convection. ( I think that's the term)

It is the same principle that allows the water to circulate without a pump to the Hot water cylinder.

There is an automatic valve that can be fitted to stop it.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    We have the same problem in our house, the plumber told us it needs a pipe going back to the boiler to prevent it happening which would involve ripping up floorboards and the like so isnt worth it, we just turn them all off in the summer.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The exact cause will depend on the type of system you've got.

We had same problem on a gravity hot water, pumped CH system. The check valve (valve with a sprung flap allowing water to flow in one direction only) in the central heating circuit had failed allow the hot water to circulate when the pump was not running. Changing the check valve fixed the problem.
  • PeteW
    PeteW Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, sounds like it's a case of getting a plumber out then! Now, I wonder what is cheaper - getting a plumber round, or wasting money on hot water that's not being used...!
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you dont have them already you could fit thermostatic valves which would close off once they reach the desired temperature and hence prevent the water being drawn from the boiler.
  • PeteW
    Options
    Well the thermostat idea doesn't really work as I've turned it right down and the radiators are still on. I guess it's measuring the temperature downstairs though it's upstairs heating up!

So does anyone know how much would be a fair price to fix this properly?

Pete
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Is your hot water on by any chance ?

Our rads upstairs heat up when the hot water is on
  • Pyewacket338
    Options
    What heating set up have you got?
    In an indirectly heated hot water tank, a coiled water pipe inside has hot water pumped through it from the boiler to heat the stored water, this is the same hot water that heats your rads, when you select the hot water only, a motorised valve will shut off the flow to the rads so it only flows through the heating coil in the stored hot water tank, if this isn't closing properly, you may have hot water entering the central heating system and heating the radiators.
  • PeteW
    Options
    No idea what the heating set up is to be honest!
  • vinr
    vinr Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    Like deanos says, just turn the unwanted radiators off, although the 'bypass' pipework will still get heat.
    Best regards

Vin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family