Trader Won't Give Me a Receipt....

Options
....and I need one, dammit! Without it I can't claim my money back from the insurance. I've spoken to Trading Standards and it seems no-one is under any obligation to provide one, and besides, with no receipt I can't prove I've even had any work done. His excuse is that I didn't tell him I was going to want one at the outset! (Although I did tell him that it was for an insurance claim, so it would have been obvious that a receipt would be needed.) I'm deeply suspicious that he hasn't actually done the work I paid him for, why else would he refuse to give me one?

Comments

• stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    Because then he'd have to put it through his books so he would've charged you another 15-20% to cover the VAT he's probably not paying!
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    That's probably the reason why (post above). How did you pay him? Show your bank withdrawal (if cash) to the insurers. You could sue the insurers for the claim or put it to insurers ombudsman (free).

You can also phone Inland revenue ask for investigations dept see if that gets you anywhere, and report to them this traders shady practices.
  • Stonk
    Stonk Posts: 937 Forumite
    Options
    Please report him. He's very probably evading VAT, and possibly income tax as well. The rest of us pay it, so why shouldn't he? Hrnngggg.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Its true they not obliged to give receipts neither are you obliged to show receipts should goods be proven defective. As long as prove can be shown, ie cc, bak statement etc.

In the case of work being done I wouldnt have paid him unless a receipt was given.

Perhaps if he doesnt do it a friendly call to the local income tax office might get him back should be be evading VAT. Some companies are vat excempt though.
  • bj-sailaway
    Options
    Taking a kinder view, alot of tradesmen suffer from Dyslexia, or simply cannot read/write.

How about offering to type up a receipt for him, and asking him if he will sign it?

Say, "I've typed up a receipt, giving details of what I've paid you, simply as proof to my insurers, if I pop round, would you be kind enough just to sign it for me?".

You may find it is something that simple. We had a friend who was a decorator, and always lost work when it came to insurance claims, as he just couldn't admit that he couldn't give written quotes/receipts.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I promptly got a receipt after I reported him to trading standards, but when I call TS back they said they hadn't spoken to him!:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure