🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

37" LCD TV for £299!

Options
Dabs have this for £299 There is also 2% from quidco.

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=5c3q

It may not be top spec but you don't often see a 37" tv for less than £400, never mind £300!

Before the tech police jump down my throat about this not being as good as the Sony XYZ1 or the Samsung ABC99 remember that this is a cheap telly for those of us who just want to watch the news and maybe a soap or ten. I would'nt know 'full HD' if it bit me on the bum, but I do know that this is a bargain, enjoy!

Comments

• indierocker85
    Options
    bigvince76 wrote: »
    Dabs have this for £299 There is also 2% from quidco.

http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=5c3q

It may not be top spec but you don't often see a 37" tv for less than £400, never mind £300!

Before the tech police jump down my throat about this not being as good as the Sony XYZ1 or the Samsung ABC99 remember that this is a cheap telly for those of us who just want to watch the news and maybe a soap or ten. I would'nt know 'full HD' if it bit me on the bum, but I do know that this is a bargain, enjoy!

Its analogue, meaning in 2-3 years it won't be OK for the switchover to digital.
    If I were gonna replace mine, I think I'd want piece of mind that it werent gonna be as good as useless in 2011 -2012
    Live for what tomorrow has to bring, not what yesterday has taken away
  • bigvince76
    Options
    Its analogue, meaning in 2-3 years it won't be OK for the switchover to digital.
    If I were gonna replace mine, I think I'd want piece of mind that it werent gonna be as good as useless in 2011 -2012

Good point, but of course this is still a good deal for sky, cable, freesat, or owners of freeview set top boxes. Freeview boxes can be had for around £15 so the tv would hardly be "as good as useless"

Be honest, do you really only watch channels 1-5 at the moment?
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Options
    peace of mind, not piece of mind...lol
  • williham
    williham Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Options
    BFG wrote: »
    peace of mind, not piece of mind...lol
    hehe..........
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    You can get a 32" Samsung or Sony HD ready for about £320 now, much better buy in my opinion.
  • Lütz_Pangaloo
    Options
    bigvince76 wrote: »
    Good point, but of course this is still a good deal for sky, cable, freesat, or owners of freeview set top boxes. Freeview boxes can be had for around £15 so the tv would hardly be "as good as useless"

Exactly.

I bought a 32" panel last year with built-in digital tuner, but I never use it because I have a Topfield PVR connected to one of the SCARTs, and I use that for all my Freeviewing! Anything with a built-in digital tuner isn't going to be much use when FreeviewHD starts anyway!

The PDF attachment on the DABS page shows it has 2x HDMI, 2x SCART, 1x composite, 1x component, 1x VGA and 1x svideo inputs, so for a cheap telly it isn't exactly short on connectivity! And it says it's an Elonex.

The only thing that puts me off is that it doesn't actually say what the contrast ratio is, just that it's "high". Having said that, the CR on my panel is 1200 and it's perfectly watchable - I think most budget panels are around the 1500 mark nowadays.

I'd get one myself (and put the 32" in the bedroom!), but I prefer the "speakers down the side" style - I like my widescreen tellies to look wide!

:cool:
  • TehJumpingJawa
    Options
    Anybody know what the resolution of the screen is? the spec. sheet doesn't say :mad:
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    Options
    Anybody know what the resolution of the screen is? the spec. sheet doesn't say :mad:
    if this is it @£700+ http://www.1staudiovisual.co.uk/catalog/elonex-inch-ready-p-5503.html?lcd-plasma-tv-shop=213

then
    ELONEX 37 INCH HD READY LCD TV The ultimate in good value the ELONEX 37 INCH LCD TV has built in Pal/ SECAM TV Tuner and is VESA compatible for easy wall mounting
    bullet1.gif Contrast Ratio 1,200:1
    bullet1.gif Resolution WXGA 1366 x 768
    bullet1.gif Response Time 8 ms bullet1.gif Warranty 1 year bullet1.gif Colour Black bullet1.gif Tuner Digital Tuner bullet1.gif Connections 2 x HDMI, Component, S-Video, PC Input, 2 Scart

Was available for £299 at SVP http://svp.co.uk/product/elonex_37_hd_ready_lcd_tv_elonex004

Technical Spec:
    • HD ready Yes
    • Diagonal Screen 94 cm (37 ")
    • Brightness 500 cd/m ²
    • Contrast 1200:1
    • Resolution 1366 x 768 Pixel (720p)
    • Progressive Scan 16:9
    • Horizontal angle-shot 88°
    • Vertical angle-shot 88°
    • Response Time 8 ms
    • Storable Channels 100
    • Sleep-Timer Yes
    • Video Format PAL, SECAM
    • Speakers 2 x 10 W
    • Audio Format Virtual Dolby Surround
    • PC VGA D-Sub 15 Pin 15 D-SUB Pins×1
    • HDMI 2x
    • Component Connectivity
    • No. Scart 2x
    • Interface RCA 1x
    • Speakers integrated
    • Consumption energy in use 270 W
    • Consumption energy <5 W Stand by
    • Measures Width: 93 cm, Height with pedestal: 74 cm Height without pedestal: 68 cm Depths: 13 cm
      Weight 29,5 kg
    ac's lovechild
  • bigvince76
    Options
    Thanks for doing the homework dc, I can't wait for this to arrive now!
  • silkcutblue
    Options
    Richer Sounds actually have some great HDTV's at decent prices, too. Only reason I mention it is because I am now (finally) deciding to buy a nice big TV and trade up my old LCD widescreen (well, not that old, but I want crisp HD images!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport