Energy saving light fittings

Options
Hi all

I'd like to replace some light fittings in my house. Ideally I'd like to go green as a lot of my current one's are halogen based. But looking around on the net, they are all hideously priced.

Does anyone know where I can get some chrome light fittings which use energy saving bulbs and won't cost the earth?

Thanks

Comments

• davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Energy efficient bulbs use the same fittings

• slummymummyof3
    Options
    I have energy saving light fittings (as per the new building regulations) as well as low energy bulbs and am having enormous difficulty in getting any lightshades that will fit them as they are much wider - bear this in mind if you buy the actual light fitting as well as bulbs. Did get low energy wall lights from B&Q.
  • Traveller1981
    Options
    I have these new bulbs/fittings too in my house. On one of the lights, i just took the fitting off, fed the cable through the regular shade and rewired the fitting back in. Admittedly it is only gravity holding it in place, but as no one is likely to ever touch it, it wont move. :)

Guess you have to have the right size shade to cover the light bulb though as they are pretty long. I didnt want to change mine as it is 13w and insanely bright.
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a look at lights4living.com whom i'd recommend which is where we ordered ours from that take PL-C 4-pin bulbs.

I searched for suitable fittings for ages and in the end we got these wall lights: http://www.lights4living.com/products/yoga-low-energy-wall-light/2400/ ...not cheap but the light generated by 3 of these with 18W bulbs is far brighter than the 6 40W SES golf balls we replaced. We swapped the bulbs though for "warm white" ones as the bulbs they came with were a bit harsh on the eyes.

Andy
  • emclare81
    Options
    I have recently moved into a new build home and have 4-pin energy saving fittings that need special lampshades. Can anyone recommend somewhwere where I might be able to get such a shade?

Many Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport