Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

"MoneySaving Live" Free DVD Discussion Area

This is the discussion area for the


In the News of the World (95p) this Sunday 10 January.

Watch the 5 minute trailer or click reply to discuss.
Former MSE team member
«13

Replies

  • why attach it to a trashy tabloid like the NotW?

    I can see it being useful for those who would buy that 'newspaper' anyway, but I can't bring myself to buy one just for the sake of getting a freebie. (I'm definitely not going out in the snow either (assuming it's still around)... :) )

    Maybe later you'll consider creating a torrent and letting anyone who wants it grab it? That would be a pretty good way of reaching the masses IMHO. Of course, this depends on you having made all the money you want to off it first, before reaching the point where the message is more important than the returns and it makes more sense to just give it away.

    (Glad you got around to fixing the link btw ;) )
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving Expert MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    Forumite
    RedBooties wrote: »
    why attach it to a trashy tabloid like the NotW?

    I can see it being useful for those who would buy that 'newspaper' anyway, but I can't bring myself to buy one just for the sake of getting a freebie. (I'm definitely not going out in the snow either (assuming it's still around)... :) )

    Maybe later you'll consider creating a torrent and letting anyone who wants it grab it? That would be a pretty good way of reaching the masses IMHO. Of course, this depends on you having made all the money you want to off it first, before reaching the point where the message is more important than the returns and it makes more sense to just give it away.

    (Glad you got around to fixing the link btw ;) )

    The News of the World is the biggest circulation newspaper in the UK by a long way. While you may think it trashy, it also has the biggest ABC1 readership in the country.

    For me the opportunity to do something with the NOTW is great, it means i get to spread the MoneySaving message to a huge number of people. Also the NOTW put its hands in its pockets to pay for this - uncensored. It's an event I couldn't have done without them

    Martin :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Ill be buying one for definate and i might also buy me mum ,me sister and the rest of me family one lol.
    Martin where do these vouchers have to be redeemed for the free dvd?
    Thanks joanne
    ps good on you martin for getting a great deal like this so you can spread all your knowledge to everyone else!
    Yourve saved me fortunes so far x
    OCTOBER/NOVEMBER WINS- HOLIDAY TO DUBAI/IPAD 2/KINDLE AND LOTS OF OTHER OTHER LITTLE BITS I LOVE COMPING!!!
  • MSE_Martin wrote: »
    While you may think it trashy, it also has the biggest ABC1 readership in the country. For me the opportunity to do something with the NOTW is great

    You know, I like you I really do, and you do a good job, but I also think you have some seriously questionable tastes ;) (I know, I know, I'm going to money saving hell for that one. :D )

    Meh.

    You didn't answer my question though ... My point was: I'm okay with others buying and reading the paper (and getting the freebie as a result). It being trashy is just my opinion. However, as much as I'd like to peruse the DVD, I personally cannot support the drivel (have you seen their website?!) they put out by giving them money, no matter how small an amount. (Yeah, I know, I'm a miserable sod.)

    My hope is that one day, once the freebies have all been reclaimed and there is no money left to be had/you want to have from it and assuming the deal allows it, you might consider putting it online for anybody to see. (A torrent was specifically mentioned as it would help conserve your bandwidth while still allowing you to reach a(nother) large viewership.)

    (I also realise I have no inalienable right to it so if it isn't going to happen then that's fine.)

    I am probably going to get a kicking for this one. May the bashing commence...
  • DizieDizie Forumite
    70 Posts
    Looking forward to getting hold of the DVD, would have loved to have been in the audience!

    Have made a note for myself to buy NOTW - sad I know but I'm a mother of 2 children who don't sleep so I have mumnesia and would forget my own name if I didn't write it down I'm sure....
  • Martin where do these vouchers have to be redeemed for the free dvd?

    Seconded, do we have to take a voucher somewhere to redeem rather than getting the DVD in a bag with the paper?
    Stay away from that Trap Door, 'cause there's something down there... :eek:
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving Expert MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    Forumite
    To get the DVD (its still finalising it) you will post the voucher to NOTW which will then freepost back the DVD. It's slightly disappointing there's no online redemption system, but the NOTW prefer to work this way.

    Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • oh thats not a good way it would of been better to be able to pick up at maybe asda or something, usually to send off for these sort of things you have to pay for postage etc but oh well ill send off for one anyway its gotta be woth it many thanks martin x
    OCTOBER/NOVEMBER WINS- HOLIDAY TO DUBAI/IPAD 2/KINDLE AND LOTS OF OTHER OTHER LITTLE BITS I LOVE COMPING!!!
  • RedBooties wrote: »
    You know, I like you I really do, and you do a good job, but I also think you have some seriously questionable tastes ;) (I know, I know, I'm going to money saving hell for that one. :D )

    Meh.

    You didn't answer my question though ... My point was: I'm okay with others buying and reading the paper (and getting the freebie as a result). It being trashy is just my opinion. However, as much as I'd like to peruse the DVD, I personally cannot support the drivel (have you seen their website?!) they put out by giving them money, no matter how small an amount. (Yeah, I know, I'm a miserable sod.)

    My hope is that one day, once the freebies have all been reclaimed and there is no money left to be had/you want to have from it and assuming the deal allows it, you might consider putting it online for anybody to see. (A torrent was specifically mentioned as it would help conserve your bandwidth while still allowing you to reach a(nother) large viewership.)

    (I also realise I have no inalienable right to it so if it isn't going to happen then that's fine.)

    I am probably going to get a kicking for this one. May the bashing commence...

    Is this someone being very miserable today has the cold got to you??
    OCTOBER/NOVEMBER WINS- HOLIDAY TO DUBAI/IPAD 2/KINDLE AND LOTS OF OTHER OTHER LITTLE BITS I LOVE COMPING!!!
  • mattytunmattytun Forumite
    13.9K Posts
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    how long is the DVD ..........can you put it on youtube..lol
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals