ran away from utilitity debt

Options
i need some advice..... i lived in a house with another person and all the utility bills were in their name, however after a dispute he left, leaving me with all debt from the bills. i have no forwarding address for him and no contact. what is likely to happen? the amount only equals approx £300. what will happen if they dont get another address for him?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It is his problem - not yours. They will pass the debt to a Debt Collection Agency.(DCA) He can then contact you for your share IF the DCA trace him.

Whatever happens don't get involved with the DCA - do not ring them or write to them, otherwise they will try to 'land' you with his debt. If they send any correcpondence addressed to 'The Occupier' ignore it.

Ring the Utility company and tell them that you became responsible for the utility accounts on xx date.
  • studentindebt2
    Options
    thanks for this advice. There is people out there running away/ignoring much larger amounts of debt isnt there. just out of interest, do the utitility companys have any kind of policy where they are able to wipe amounts away if they have no success in finding the person??
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    thanks for this advice. There is people out there running away/ignoring much larger amounts of debt isnt there. just out of interest, do the utitility companys have any kind of policy where they are able to wipe amounts away if they have no success in finding the person??

They normally 'sell' the debt to a Debt Collection Agency. These DCAs have dreadful reputation for the tactics they use to get 'their' money. Not that I have any sympathy for anyone not paying their genuine debts, it is the other people they involve.

The debtor will/can finish up with poor credit reference - or even a Court Order.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the bills were in their name, they are solely responsible for the debt. As has already been said, take meter readings and ring the companies concerned and advise them that you are taking over the bills from whatever date they left. Be truthful about the date and the readings but don't get drawn into any discussion or admission - you don't know anything about the previous tenants whereabouts.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • CrashUK
    CrashUK Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

they can right off 10% of unpayed bill every year which saves them tax. so yes. if its not your name then bin it or send it back.. you shound not open letters that are not in your name they do not have any thing to do with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure