We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fancy £10 for registering with egg money manager

For egg account holders, register for egg-on-line manager and get £10. Allows you to access many accounts at once. Offer open until 31 Jan 06.
See demo on egg webpage https://www.egg.com

Comments

  • ruthyjo
    ruthyjo Posts: 483 Forumite
    I think the answer would have to be NO. You'll have to input details of all your other accounts you want to manage including your online password and other security details for each provider If you're happy this is secure (and I'm sure egg have gone to great lengths to make it so) ask yourself what's in it for egg. They'll have your complete financial profile - they can target marketing at you or choose not to depending on this. They might even refuse you services on the basis of your behaviour elsewhere. Sometimes a tenner is just not worth having.
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    The answer is YES.
    You only have to input details of one account which could be a disused account for all it matters.
    I've done it and was paid the £10 about 4 weeks after applying.

    Once the money is paid then you can remove the one account.

    I've added my first direct ISA and unused current account.

    It works by storing the info on your C drive and then calling up the other web sites and filling in the details for you. You can watch it do it when it's running slowly.
    Happy chappy
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,524 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ruthyjo wrote:
    I think the answer would have to be NO. You'll have to input details of all your other accounts you want to manage including your online password and other security details for each provider If you're happy this is secure (and I'm sure egg have gone to great lengths to make it so) ask yourself what's in it for egg. They'll have your complete financial profile - they can target marketing at you or choose not to depending on this. They might even refuse you services on the basis of your behaviour elsewhere. Sometimes a tenner is just not worth having.

    So join it, only enter details of a single provider with a now defunct account or unused credit card, or if you have none of these, use one with the minimum info, perhaps just a current account.
    Once the £10 has been paid (took about a week in my case) delete the login details.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!


    Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • Sorry to hijack this thread, but are money managers considered bad? I never thought about the monitoring side of them???

    E.M.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ruthyjo wrote:
    You'll have to input details of all your other accounts...

    You don't have to add any bank account at all - a Paypal account, even one you set up specially for use with EMM, will do.
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    EvilMonkey wrote:
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but are money managers considered bad? I never thought about the monitoring side of them???

    E.M.

    Considered bad by whom? Bad for what?

    I can only speak about EMM, don't know of any others. I have been using EMM for about 4 months now, it's making live much easier for me because I can access the majority of my accounts, incl my two Paypal ones, from a single portal.

    I have no concerns about security because the access information is encrypted on my machine, and I trust Egg that they will not abuse the access information because this would be a serious criminal offense. I have no problem if Egg looks at my balances on the various accounts - for many, they can obtain the balance from the CRAs, anyway. But since EMM doesn't support all financial institutions, they would only ever get a partial view of my finances, so the information they can gleen is of limited value to them. I have no indication that they are actually looking at the information - I haven't got any marketing bumpf or anything from them for other Egg products.
  • K9cuddles
    K9cuddles Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    I signed up for the tenner, but it's sooooooooo useful I'm sticking with it. Nothing to hide and it should be secure... (I hope!).. but agree that it could be logged with key entry software so I then to cut and past!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

    ::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

    Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • K9cuddles
    K9cuddles Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    innovate wrote:
    Considered bad by whom? Bad for what?

    I can only speak about EMM, don't know of any others. I have been using EMM for about 4 months now, it's making live much easier for me because I can access the majority of my accounts, incl my two Paypal ones, from a single portal.

    Innovate.. how do you add a paypal account? I would be very interested in doing this!!!
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 092

    ::£2 - CSC - Terramundi is filling up!! :: Joined 3/3/06 :: 5/2/07 - 835kg + £280 Banked!!::
    ::5p,10p & 20p - Savings Tin :: Founded 9/4/06 :: 23/3/07 - 3.2kg ::

    Lost to date - 9kg (22/8/06) Next weigh in 2007!!
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    S_a_r_a, you add Paypal like any other account - "Add Organisation", type a P, select Paypal, enter your login information, and you are in business!
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Bad for Egg have access to all of your financial affairs.
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.