PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Dying a jumper

Options
Hi folks,

I have a jumper that I want to dye, but don't know where to start and would really appreciate any tips. It's a nice jumper but at the moment it is a horrible lime green colour and I would like to give it a new life as a maybe a purple or brown jumper.

Which dyes are best? Also I wouldn't mind paying to have it done professionally, can you get this done?

Comments

• iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always use a cold water dylon dye or even sometimes the one in the washing machine, you just need one tub, there about £2-3 of the market and a box of salt. Always turn out fine for me.

Is it wool or acrylic, don't know if you have to buy a special kind for wool, but dylon do dyes for all sorts of fabrics
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The dylon website has all sorts of advice and tips, so even if you don't use their product - it's a darn good place to browse :)

http://www.dylon.co.uk/main.htm
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • HOLsale
    HOLsale Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    squeaky is right the dylon site is very good

as for the colour... i think your hopes of purple are dashed i'm afraid as the colour beneath directly influences the colour you come out with as per the site and my own personal experience (dh won't wear 99% of clothes from stores, we have to dye everything :mad: )

brown is doable though that should be fairly easy and you'll end up with a nice earthy brown colour rather than a flat boring colour

is the jumper wool?
    founder of Frugal Genius UK (Yahoo Groups)
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've dyed a few things in the washing machine and they have always turned out fine except you need loads of salt and it takes 2 boil washes to get rid of the dye out of the machine afterwards.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Ooops, looks like we've managed to crash the Dylon site now!! Just getting an error message when I try to go in, anyone else having probs??
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrsB wrote:
    Ooops, looks like we've managed to crash the Dylon site now!! Just getting an error message when I try to go in, anyone else having probs??

I can't get it to open either - but it might not have been a MSE rush......can't we blame someone else?!?
    :happyhear
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    I can't get it to open either - but it might not have been a MSE rush......can't we blame someone else?!?

Oh go on then ;)

Hmmm... "There appears to be a problem on the Dylon site caused by a stampede of any entirely non MSE related large thing."

That do?? :p
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • frizz_head
    frizz_head Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    Options
    I dyed all my cream bathroom towels purple when we redecorated the bathroom, using Dylon in the washing machine and they came out lovely - can really recommend it. :D
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.:A
    20 pints donated! :j:j
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MrsB wrote:
    Oh go on then ;)

Hmmm... "There appears to be a problem on the Dylon site caused by a stampede of any entirely non MSE related large thing."

That do?? :p
    It can't be us that crashed it - we only have 55 people reading OS right now :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • franney
    franney Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    From what i can remember you normally use salt for dying but if it's wool you have to use vinegar to make it colourfast, i have only ever used Dylon dyes, didn't know there was any other make :D my dye of choice is the cold water one, they are the least messy to do in my experience, just one bowl and one wooden spoon :)
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family