Suziepoor's 2009 debt-free diary

Options
Hello everyone and happy new year!

I thought i would start the year positively by starting a diary on here about my debt free future.
My past - Over the last two years i have been living with my bf, and he ihas been out of work so i have been paying for everything and have been living off my credit cards to make ends meet, also depression relating spending and gambling, have led to me building up debts of £23k on loans and credit cards.:eek: I am deeply ashamed of this and feel morally responsible and want to make sure i pay off every penny. Instead of being unhappy and feeling my like is over because of the debt, i am going to try and tackle it as positively as possible. As the minimum payments have reached the stage where they are no longer manageable, i feel a dmp is the best option for me.

The Future - Yesterday i completed my debt remedy on cccs and sent it off, so am waiting to hear from them and get the paperwork.
I am hoping to move to a houseshare/flat in February and it is then that i will start my new life on my own, working towards being debt-free. My bf and i have split up and are making a fresh start separately. He owes me around £6k and says if/when he is working he will pay me in installments, but im not counting on that as its doubtful i will ever get anything back.
I am paying my creditors token payments this month (January) and making payments for where i live now, any surplus will be used to help me move house, along with minimal spending on credit cards if needed, before i start the dmp.
Figures used for the dmp have been estimates for new rent/bills, so hopefully there will be room to increase the dmp payment in the future, as ive only been able to start it at £296 a month which will be around 6 years to clear the debt and i was hoping for 4/5 years. also i am thinking positively that i may get a payrise, or be able to take on a second job to help increase the dmp payment in the future.
Although part of me is scared particularly of nasty letters/calls from creditors, another part of me feels positive and glad to be able to draw a line under it all and move on, also i feel the dmp has saved me as i think i would only have carried on being frivalous and gambling if i continued to have access to credit, this is related to my feelings about money and my depression i feel, i am now getting help for this. I do also worry that i am a bad prospect now due to this debt and my bad credit rating, but nevermind, im trying to be as positive as possible, as after all im the one that caused all this so i have to take full responsibility for it all.

I am going to break things into monthly targets, so for January:-

Get car through mot (hopefully wont be too costly)
Find somewhere new to live - and post new figures in soa on here and in dmp
Set up new bank account (loan is with current bank) - have recently got this sorted and got natwest step account.
Transfer standing orders/direct debits etc.
Make token payments to creditors in January and finalise setting up dmp.
Also cut up credit cards and make sure no further excessive spending occurs.

Once moved and dmp is up and running i plan to come on here and find out about making extra income with surveys, points etc. like people on here seem to, also get as many money-saving tips as possible (cant wait to post my soa for you all to help me with!)

So there it is in brief my debt background and hopefully brighter future....
I'll be back to post soon when ive achieved some of my january targets...

Suzie
xxx

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Suzie - it sounds like you've had a heck of a year :( Keep us posted when you get somewhere new to stay and can complete your updated SOA.

Make sure you cut up those cards and congratulations on starting the beginning of the rest of your life :)
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Suzie

You sound like you know what you need to do to tackle the debts. Look forward to seeing your SOA. Welcome!
  • wendz86
    wendz86 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Sounds like you have had a bad year of it. Does seem like you know what you need to do though so heres to new starts!
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All the best for 2009.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Smamfer
    Smamfer Posts: 2,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good luck and stick at it. Remember to have a good luck around this place for loads of ways to make an extra quid and to save money here and there!
    ~~Gonna Buy Me A Shrimp Farm Bubba~~
  • suziepoor
    Options
    Hi all
    Just wanted to say thanks for your good-luck messages, it really helps spur me on.
    ive had a good first day of the year, ive been tidying and sorting my stuff out in preparation for moving, clearing out old clothes etc. although funny thing is some of the clothes i put aside for the charity shop now seem quite nice and im hanging onto them, as i wont be buying any whilst on dmp! Its funny how your attitude to things changes. Spending on clothes was a big problem area for me i used to fritter away loads on them, but now it doesnt seem as important - im quite looking forward to being frugal this year, it will be a challenge.

Have also started a daily spending notepad, to keep an eye on any unnecessary spending. Tomorrow im going to sort out out all of my old bank and credit card statements and prepare a new file for all the dmp stuff, feels good to get organised!

Suzie
    xx
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    List anything halfway decent on eBay, and get that ex-BF to write out and sign a proper IOU note. You can then take him to the small claims court if you really have to later on (maybe don't tell him that!).

:rotfl:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • mooomin
    mooomin Posts: 13,703 Forumite
    Options
    suziepoor wrote: »
    Hi all
    Just wanted to say thanks for your good-luck messages, it really helps spur me on.
    ive had a good first day of the year, ive been tidying and sorting my stuff out in preparation for moving, clearing out old clothes etc. although funny thing is some of the clothes i put aside for the charity shop now seem quite nice and im hanging onto them, as i wont be buying any whilst on dmp! Its funny how your attitude to things changes. Spending on clothes was a big problem area for me i used to fritter away loads on them, but now it doesnt seem as important - im quite looking forward to being frugal this year, it will be a challenge.

Have also started a daily spending notepad, to keep an eye on any unnecessary spending. Tomorrow im going to sort out out all of my old bank and credit card statements and prepare a new file for all the dmp stuff, feels good to get organised!

Suzie
    xx
    If clothes spending is an issue for you, check out the Crazy £100 Clothes Challenge. You're only allowed to spend £100 on clothes in 2009 - I have signed up as I spend too much on clothes!
  • Shoe_Gal
    Shoe_Gal Posts: 7,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Suzie

Just wanted to say 'hi' :hello: and good luck! You sound really positive and organised, which I am trying to be - in fact I have just started to go through a pile of paperwork!

Shoe Gal x
    Sometimes it's hard to walk in a single woman's shoes - that's why we need really special ones!
    Total debt @ Oct 2008: £29,226.42 Credit Card- £[STRIKE]7493.56[/STRIKE] - £7243.56
    Weightloss : 0/34lbs
  • suziepoor
    suziepoor Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Day two of the new year and so far things are going ok.

Just been food shopping and have only spent £30 - this is for two people as i still have to pay for my ex-bf - I agreed to pay for January as the last month so the rent will be paid up to 22 feb, giving us both time to move out although i suspect he will stay and wait to be evicted! anyway im still paying double for everything till then which is hard but at least i know its for the last month then i will be free. Just bought the basis when getting the shopping, and its amazing how much you save not putting junk in the trolley - will hopefully lose a few pounds too :-)

Booked car in for service and mot, should be £125, just hoping i dont have any extra repairs as it is an old car. Cant give it up as part of my job involves travelling, so have to keep hold of it. this is going to be the very last thing i put on my credit card (i have no option) and then im going to cut them up, as i'll hopefully be going on the dmp in feb/march.

So not doing too bad and not feeling too down about things (although it is going to be hard living with my ex for 6 wks and dealing with any mither from creditors!)

Hope everyones day is going well.

Suzie
    xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills