amex credit card

Options
Can I use an Amex Platinum card to pay off a comet store card (six months interest free credit, due to pay off in Feb.)?

Comments

• CopperPlate_2
    CopperPlate_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Options
    It should tell you on your store card statement which methods of payment are acceptable.

I have had store cards that allowed you to use credit cards/amex as well as debit cards to pay them off. They weren't classed as 'balance transfers' by the paying bank either (Next Directory card being one of them). Yet others only allow Debit Card payments - best to check first I'd say.
  • bonymaen_jack
    Options
    Many thanks, I had checked with comet if I could use a credit card to pay off the balance and they said ok. My concern was if amex regarded the payment as a balance transfer or a payment.
  • ICan'tStandIt
    Options
    Many thanks, I had checked with comet if I could use a credit card to pay off the balance and they said ok. My concern was if amex regarded the payment as a balance transfer or a payment.

If you do the transaction with Comet, then it's a purchase transaction on your Amex statement.

For it to be a balance transfer, Amex send the money to Comet on your behalf. Amex don't do ad hoc balance transfers at the moment though.

As long as Comet take Amex to pay their store card, you should be ok.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure