bank messed up Ebay PP payment, can someone explain - I am totally confused?

Options
Hi,

Could someone please explain this to me. I bought something from Ebay for £8.25, I had £3.69 in my PayPal account so assumed the £4.56 would be taken from my bank account that I have linked to PayPal. This item was purchased on 18th Dec (The seller sent the item). I have received emails from PP today to say that:

You recently attempted to transfer funds from your bank account to your PayPal account.

Your bank declined the funds transfer on 31 Dec. 2008.

We have charged your card, which you chose as your backup funding source, to complete your payment to *****

I have money in the bank and I've used PP before with the bank so why would they decline it. Has the seller been paid and if so how? I am really confused. Then I got another one:

On **, we attempted to transfer 4.56 GBP from your bank account, ending **. This transfer was returned by your bank on for the reason below:

There was a bank processing error.

As a result, this bank account has been removed from your PayPal account. Please contact your bank for more information or add a new bank account. Please do not contact PayPal because this is entirely an issue between the account holder and their bank.

Yours sincerely,
PayPal

and finally this one:

On ... we attempted to transfer 4.56 GBP from your bank account, ending in **. This transfer was returned by your bank on 31 Dec. 2008 for the reason below:

The bank is disputing the Direct Debit Instruction (DDI).

As a result, this bank account has been removed from your PayPal account. Please contact your bank for more information or add a new bank account. Please do not contact PayPal because this is entirely an issue between the account holder and their bank.

Yours sincerely,
PayPal

So have I paid the seller, in my PP account it says completed but when I look at my online banking I can't see the payment anywhere!

Comments

• erichamster
    Options
    It sounds like you paid with your paypal balance and the outstanding amount with your backup credit/debit card which you must have added in order for paypal to let you do instant bank transfers. If it says completed then I expect you've paid the full amount, you could always contact the seller to make sure. Hope this helps.
    Started Comping 25th September 2013.
    October wins :j : Chapstick Goodie Bag, Mixed Case of Kumala Wine, £10 Two Seasons Gift Voucher, Elizabeth Shaw Chocolate bar, Schwarzkopf Colour Mask, Eco Soap Sample Bundle.

November wins: Cheerios 6 pack, MUA Primer
  • cathys1_2
    cathys1_2 Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    I had the exact same email - took little notice of it to be honest, as like you I know I had plenty in my bank account to cover the £9 needed!

I think possibly the bank is at fault - who do you bank with? If part of the same group maybe they are being funny with certain dd? (I'm part of Santander group!)

(or else it's a fraud?)
  • vet8
    vet8 Posts: 877 Forumite
    Options
    I had EXACTLY the same series of emails a few months ago. I thought they were phishing at first. but then the seller contacted me and the payment had been reversed. As luck would have it my credit card I had on PayPal had just been used fraudulently and had been cancelled during the ten days it took for the bank to send back the DD, so the bank payment was turned down for no reason and then the credit card did not work either!!

I contacted my bank and according to them PayPal made no attempt to get the money out of the account at all so I have no idea what happened. I just reinstated my bank account and transferred some money over.

I bank with Natwest.
  • Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Options
    sherbie28 wrote: »

Good news, does this not mean that now your paypal payments are from your credit card rather than sucked out of your bank account?

A much safer situation and another line of defence if you get ripped off and paypal don't play ball...
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • starving_artist
    Options
    Me too! Exactly the same emails. Bank (Halifax) denied any record of demand for payment for paypal. Direct debit fine from their end. It's sounding to me like a paypal problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure