Disabled afraid to apply for DLA.

Options
There are two disabled people living together. Although life is not easy for them because of their disabilities and illnesses they suffer, they still want to live together in their home caring of each other.
One of them is afraid to apply for DLA, because she thinks that if they both would be classified as disabled receiving DLA, then authorities might use it as an excuse to separate them by force and take them by force to some residential care home or hospital, or at least by force provide them with some unwanted services in their home.
Is it true? Is there a law, which would enable authorities to do that against their will?
If not, please, help me convince them, preferably by quoting some statutory law or other regulations, that they should not be afraid of that.

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Not that I've ever heard of! In fact it's usually the other way round, not being able to get the help if you want it. I imagine there are a lot of disabled couples around, as you tend to meet similar people.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • DW123_2
    DW123_2 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    If they are living together then the authorities obvioulsy feel they can manage on their own.

DLA is not a benefit to avoid going into care, it's a benefit to help you pay for the things disabled people might need which an able bodied would not. For example some disabled people might need special clothing or may feel the cold and need to put the heating on for longer or perhaps they need a car and this helps to pay for a car to aid their mobility. If you don't apply for it you are wasting hunderds of pounds of money that you are entitled to.

I have posts on here which have a go at scroungers but if you are truly disbaled then you deserve this money....so go and get it before the scroungers take it all.
  • suep
    suep Posts: 782 Forumite
    Options
    Im friends with a disabled couple, they get full DLA and still live in their own home. If you are awarded DLA you will get the money and they leave it to you to decide wether to pay for any help from carers or cleaners.

Sorry I cant quote any laws but Im sure nowadays the emphasis is on care in the home to enable the person/couple to stay at home if they need/want it.
    I hope someone else can help with the law side of things, if not then I'd maybe go to the CAB or similar agency. Good luck
    sue
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    Terry Pratchett ( Hogfather)
  • DW123_2
    DW123_2 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Go the the diabled.org website. You can post there and they will ring you I think. It's the place to start.
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No one, except a convicted criminal, or one on remand, can have their liberty taken away for the sort of reasons you describe.

The only time someone could be forced into compulsory care would be under the Mental Health Act if a person has become a danger to herself or to others, and a person would need to be sectioned for this to happen.

Furthermore, when you claim DLA no-one outside of the benefits system would know about it, unless you told them. The Data Protection Act prevents it.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • foxxymynx
    foxxymynx Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/consultations/liveconsultations/DH_089098

After clicking the link you will go to the site that enables you to download the consultation document.

This is the 'No secrets' consultation regarding 'vulnerable adults' and as vulnerable adults has no official definition it could effect many people here - even those who do not see themselves as vulnerable.

There may be many good aspects of this paper but one concerns me.
    Page 46, New Social Work, Police or other powers refers to a new power to enter private home and remove the vulnerable adult if there is suspicion of abuse.

I suppose that it's possible (not meeting adiquate needs of the person you care for could be abuse I suppose) however there are alot of disabled couples who live together.
    If my typing is pants or I seem partcuarly blunt, please excuse me, it physically hurts to type. :wall: If I seem a bit random and don't make a lot of sense, it may have something to do with the voice recognition software that I'm using!
  • PinkJenn
    PinkJenn Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Its sad that people that really deserve the money are too scared to claim it but some people know how to play the system and seem to get everything going.....whether they deserve it or not.
    My initials are JR on Facebook

Crocks Club Member number 16 :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family