PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

moving your council tax CONFUSION

I moved into a flat in december 2007 and because it wasn't a listed property yet i had to wait until it was valued so it could be placed in the correct band and then i started paying my council tax in april and the repayments were £131 a month, and then in August i moved into a different council area not far away less than 3 or 4 miles, but when i moved into the new council i recieved a new bill from them saying that i have to pay 132 pounds until 2 feb but looking back over all the payments i have made in a year i have paid £1016.49 in council tax payments and the council i am currently in has a yearly charge of £1077, so i shouldn't have to pay this months and next months as my rate should have gone down by now.
basically i was wondering when you move council does the amounts you paid to previous council still count when moving into the new council area
also i moved out on the 20th august and i paid my previous council on the 7th august £131.00 and then when i said i was moving out they sent me a revised bill of £166.00 which i had to pay because otherwise they said it would go up and up by £60 each month for court fees
but how could they have charged my £166.00 when i had paid the previous month and moved out on the 20th
does anyone have any thoughts because this is really confusing me council tax is annoying and they do not make it simple when you try and uderstand your bill especially when you move council and they have sent you an old revised one and your new council sends you another one aswell
i really dont want to end up paying to much on my council as i know if i do it will probably take them forever to give it back to me
many thanks in advance:eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• tracy24582 wrote: »
    basically i was wondering when you move council does the amounts you paid to previous council still count when moving into the new council area

Hi.
    The two different councils will have separate bills. Your payments are complicated because there are three separate bills:
    • Dec 07 - Mar 08 with Council A
    • April 08 - August 08 with Council A
    • August 08 onwards with Council B.
    Council tax years run April to March, so even though a bill hadn't been issued when you moved in in Dec 07, you will still be charged. By the time you started paying in April, you were paying the 08/09 bill with Council A PLUS the amount that you owed from December to March.

Now that you have moved out of the area, Council A won't charge you for August onwards, but Council B will.

Hope that helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport