Cheaper LCD TVs

Options
I am looking to buy a 37" LCD TV in the sales and the cheapest ones are Technika from Tesco and Acoustic Solutions from Argos.

Does anyone know anything about these brands - who makes them, reliability, performance, quality etc - in comparison with leading brands?

Thanks in advance.

FiLoster

Comments

• Marty_J
    Marty_J Posts: 6,594 Forumite
    Options
    They'll have a watchable picture, and they might even last for a few years if you're lucky.

But frankly, there are much better brands out there.
  • FiLoster
    Options
    Ah, I see. You don't happen to know which company makes them, do you?
  • stupid.daniel
    Options
    how mch you willing to go up to. which you consider 40 inches or 32?
    2008 wins: Samsung NV20, 42inch JVC
    2009 wins: Xbox 360 Elite
  • MikeyMacbeth
    Options
    If you can't find a uk registered office on a web search for the brand then it's most likely a re-badge chinese manufacturer (with surplus panels - the major mfrs add value by means of electronics that improves the picture over and above..), watch out for customer service and after warranty support, both from the manufacturer and the retailer, who is selling these to hit a "low" price point - retailer won't want to support them much as there won't be much support from the mfr to him...or margin for them to provide decent after sales service

Major brands are always safer for the scenario where the retailer may go bust & you have to rely on the manufacturer warranty... as is increasingly likely at the moment sad to say!

If there's a contact number for Technika then you should be ok...which there isn't - google Technika official uk site and you won't find one - bad sign - can you imagine Sony or Panasonic not having a uk site?
  • snowgirl_3
    Options
    Dont touch with a bargpole. I would spend an extra £50 and get a samsung or LG. I had a Acoustic Solutions 32 inch last year and it packed up after 1 week. Now have a samsung and the picture quaility is 100 times better,

You can get a 32" samsung or lg for around £350 or for not much more go for a 37 or 40

You get what you pay for.
  • davidjohndean
    Options
    I have purchased Technika products before, but only small items such as the cheap dvd player and a clock - I would'nt be 100% on buying a TV. It is so true that you do get what you pay for.

I've just purchased a new sony bravia 40" LCD T.V and it is wicked. It cost £599 reduced from £899. They are a few good offers around at the mo, sony are also doing a 32" LCD t.v for £329 in tesco.
  • aliEnRIK
    aliEnRIK Posts: 17,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Theyre junk. You get what you pay for...........
    :idea:
  • podger64
    podger64 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    They are made by UMC in slovakia.http://www.umc-slovakia.sk/vestel also make a lot of tvs for rebranding http://www.vestel.com.tr/foreigntrade/index.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure