Drayton manor from NI

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
14 replies 4K views
CherrysconeCherryscone Forumite
1.4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Has any one been here from NI who did you book with was it an all in deal (ferry hotel themeprk) ?
~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~

Replies

• Went there in October with the family. Wasn't Drayton Manor so much as "Thomasland" that we were so keen on. Out 3 year old is Thomas daft.

We ferried it across (belfast-stranraer) and stayed with family in the area. So no details of deals but we did use Tesco clubcard points for our ferry, £25 of clubcards get you £100 ferry vouchers. They can also be used for getting the tickets to Drayton manor.

Some advise, Go out of season. We drove through a mile of empty car parks before getting to the one right at the entrance to the park. I imagine this would be hellish at the height of summer and the queues would be intolerable. It was so quiet when we went that they just let you stay on the rides for 2nd and 3rd goes...Great fun for a 3 year old obsessed with the troublesome truck roller coaster not so much fun for mum or dad though.

It was a great day but i wouldn't spend more than a day there with younger kids and i'd imagine even teenagers would be bored of the bigger rides after a day. We also did a day out in stratford and went for a row on the avon, very nice and had a day at this place http://www.hattonworld.com/. Again deserted because it was october but that meant the kids had access to everything queue and other kid free. Lovely place for a pic nic too.

I'd definitely go back, apart from the family its such a central area of England and there is loads to do for the kids. Well worth a long weekend/short break with the family.

hope this helps

cavey
  • CherrysconeCherryscone Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    well like you its just thomas land my wee boy is 4 29th june and we kinda promised him we would take him ..hes been really good at saving and has £100 already and again he is mad about thomas will just have to keep looking for a cheap deal thank you
  • Have you checked out the Travelodge website for deals on accommodation? Just a thought as they had a good sale at the moment.
  • mummy72mummy72 Forumite
    103 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi
    We have planned to visit there as well, and had thought using the ryanair flights and just hiring a car for a few days, ryanair fly to east midlands and you can sometimes pick up the special fares and the drive from there isn't too far.
    Just a thought for maybe a different route to take :).
  • We visited Drayton Manor when staying with family. You can purchase tickets very cheaply with Tescos vouchers. I'd go off season too, the queues were awful even when we were there before English schools stopped.
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    thanks folks ..i wont have enough tesco viuchers saved for then if only i had thought about it before i spend my xmas ones ..mummy72 we had thought about flying but would it really work out much cheaper ?
  • madmam. We also looked at travel lodges and premier travel lodges as we were usnure our family would be about. These worked out pretty cheap and included free breakfast for the kids.

Reaslistically, flying and hiring a car is gonna cost more than a ferry and the fuel for a drive. What would have killed us flying would be the need to carry 3 kids car seats and a hulking great pram. I had visions of me staggering through Belfast International waylaid with all this crap while my wife tried to wrestle 3 kids under 3. Hence we choose the ferry.

You don't need the full compliment of tesco vouchers for a ferry, as in say the ferry is £150 and you only have £50 of tesco vouchers you can make up the difference in cash. Its just that with the 4x value on ferries it would be mad to not use the club card vouchers. Again if you go out of season i wouldn't bother using the clubcard vouchers to book the drayton ticket as there will be much better deals on the day when you pay at the door.

Honestly the ferry and drive weren't too bad. We got the 7am HSS to stranraer and landed in Stranraer around 9am. We got to Carlisle services by about noon for a major refuel, (car, kids and adults). From carlisle services i was in Birmingham itself in less than 4.5 hours.

the flying option i think is from belfast cuity with Flybe and they go to birminghamd should you be able to get any good deals...All the best anyway and make sure your little lad gets some pics with the fat controller.

cavey
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    u can buy tickets cheaper at the park for a second day if u see what i mean...once u are there try and take some food in with u as the catering is dire imo....there are a couple of hotels in fazely the village up the road that might be of use to u but i dont know there name u could phone drayton manor and ask cs.....thomas land rocks
    onwards and upwards
  • mummy72mummy72 Forumite
    103 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi
    I thinking flying only works out cheaper if you watch for the special fares, ryanair do some great offers and of course it depends how many are travelling, we are only 2 adults and 1 child. We had flights in december that were a 1p each midweek, we just took on overnight bags as hand luggage therefore no charges for baggage and if you use a electron card to pay then you have no charges for paying by card. We didn't need a car then but this time will only need a booster seat so again no big car seat to carry. I think it all depends on how many travelling and what is needed for travelling as well. If you sign up on ryanair website you will be notified of special offers and you can pick up the flights cheaply.
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Still looking to go on this any more tips or help
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up