Boiler Installation Quote

Options
Hi All,

Just looking for a little advice since me and hubby are pretty blind about this. We want to change our traditional boiler (10 years old) to a combi boiler. FYI, our house is a 2 bedroom. We've had 2 quotes for now:
a. An independent installer £2000 for a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24iKW.
Job Included: Remove tanks, New separate timer n reusing ex room thermostat, condense pipe work frm boiler to nearest drainage, connection frm boiler into existing heating circuits n existing hot water circuits, Cold water connection to local water board, Notifications to Corgi n LBA, all electrical works carried out by part P trained engineer, new gas main to boiler in 22mm copper and fill and flush out system on completion.
b. British Gas £3640 for a Valliant EcoTec Pro 28kW
Job Included : Disconnect n remove existing hot water tank, expansion tank, disconnect cold water storage and leave in your loftspace; disconnect and remove immersion heater from the existing hot water tank, socket n see electrical test. Fit filling loop system, condensate waste to internal connection, wireless programable romm thermostat valliant ecotecdt standard horizontal flue, magnaclean professional - magnetic filter.

The british gas quote is very expensive but so far we probably prefer it because its more secure, if you know what i mean. we are still waiting for another 2 quotes, one from a local gas company installer and Npower.

We will probably skip the quote from the local gas company installer as he said moving the boiler to the kitchen will add more complication and probably cost as most of the main pipe already in the airing cupboard. But the main reason we want it move is to gain more space without the airing cupboard! He sounds that he want the easy way out and just use the old piping? :cool: The other 2 said thats rubbish because the main gas pipe will be coming from the front of the house anyways (where our kitchen is).

Any input will be very appreciate it.

Satch

Comments

• Canucklehead
    Options
    satch wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just looking for a little advice since me and hubby are pretty blind about this. We want to change our traditional boiler (10 years old) to a combi boiler. FYI, our house is a 2 bedroom. We've had 2 quotes for now:
    a. An independent installer £2000 for a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24iKW.
    Job Included: Remove tanks, New separate timer n reusing ex room thermostat, condense pipe work frm boiler to nearest drainage, connection frm boiler into existing heating circuits n existing hot water circuits, Cold water connection to local water board, Notifications to Corgi n LBA, all electrical works carried out by part P trained engineer, new gas main to boiler in 22mm copper and fill and flush out system on completion.
    b. British Gas £3640 for a Valliant EcoTec Pro 28kW
    Job Included : Disconnect n remove existing hot water tank, expansion tank, disconnect cold water storage and leave in your loftspace; disconnect and remove immersion heater from the existing hot water tank, socket n see electrical test. Fit filling loop system, condensate waste to internal connection, wireless programable romm thermostat valliant ecotecdt standard horizontal flue, magnaclean professional - magnetic filter.

The british gas quote is very expensive but so far we probably prefer it because its more secure, if you know what i mean. we are still waiting for another 2 quotes, one from a local gas company installer and Npower.

We will probably skip the quote from the local gas company installer as he said moving the boiler to the kitchen will add more complication and probably cost as most of the main pipe already in the airing cupboard. But the main reason we want it move is to gain more space without the airing cupboard! He sounds that he want the easy way out and just use the old piping? :cool: The other 2 said thats rubbish because the main gas pipe will be coming from the front of the house anyways (where our kitchen is).

Any input will be very appreciate it.

Satch

Good morning:

Quote A: WB's bargain basement boiler with piddly DHW flow rate therefore if you like showers you'll be disappaointed or you if you prefers bath ditto.. ...no Magnaclean or Boiler Buddy (ask for quote with a CDi)
    Quote B: BG's usual over the top price....Vaillant's bargain basement boiler (ask for quote with Ecotec Plus)... be aware,many of BG's 'installs' are by subcontractors working on the cheap under time constraints....have to say that £1640 is a heck of price to pay for 'peace of mind'. Why not get a recommended independent to install a boiler with a longer warranty (eg. Viessmann with 5 years parts and labour) then sign up to a 'service plan' at the end of the warranty if you still feel the need.;) I assume that your prospective installers have checked mains water pressure and flow rates for combi compatibility.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • satch
    satch Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the input Canucklehead. Much appreciated.

Just had a quote from Npower which came the same with British Gas eventhough he said he might be able to knock another £400 off.

I think u are right, £1500 is alot of money. We're still waiting for one more quote which is a recommendation of a friend. So fingers crossed it will be better.

Thanks alot, I will keep it posted.
    Satch
  • quantumorange
    Options
    Hi

I own a large portfolio of properties and as such have had a significant amount of Central Heating systems installed in them.

After years of dealing with plumbers ive finally found one that will do a good job, is Corgi registered and doesn't rip me off. He charges me £120 for an 8hr days labour with only half an hours lunch. In that time i generally talk to him about plumbing and keep up to date with whats going on in the industry.
    £15 per hour i think is very fair in today's world.
    There are plumbers out there who will work for £10 per hour but they are generally fully booked for the year.
    Plumbers who charge more, well good luck to them but they generally doesn't work a full 5 day week, as they have to spend more time hunting for jobs, and i believe in Karma!

A replacement like for like boiler well old for new takes about 4 hrs
    converting from a system to a combi can take up to 3 days depending on the layout of ones house
    If its just replacing a new combi boiler in the same location then the rip out can generally be done in a day.
    relocating a boiler from one end of a house to another may mean that the heating pipes will have to be changed as most heating systems start off with 15mm pipe to each radiator then go to 22mm at the end of the system if this is reversed then the flow will not work the radiators at the end of the heating circuit.
    A new central heating system combi boiler and 7 rads, in a standard 3 bed house can take as little as 6 days to install including 1 day to rip out the old system. If the plumber brings in a helper on £40 a day then this time is halved, generally 3 days. Other factors will be moving furniture and lifting floor boards etc..

I have had installed pretty much every make of boiler over the years and my two penny worth of info is you DO NOT get what you pay for.
    Whatever you buy most likely will break down on Christmas day or a holiday, or a Sunday and when it is freezing.

You can reduce this by servicing the boiler every year. A service costs me £60 to £90 which includes my landlords gas safety certificate.

I have to say the Germans still make things very well.
    In addition to this some of the cheapest makes have lasted longer and with fewer to no breakdowns than their more expensive competitors.

Biasi very impressed, being a strong contender,i put these in all of my smaller houses now. Heat line are also supposed to be good.

Raven Heat hmmmmmmmmmm. i have no love for these whatsoever.
    Motherboard gossip not good, Service department, hmm i must be very unlucky.

Worcester, i have contributed too many diaphragms, pumps and fans to this company. Year after year after year. You will not find any Worcester in my newer refurbish.

Valliant Eco tech, im impressed, so far so good great for bigger houses a bit expensive for smaller once would choose the Biasi purely down to cost.

Basically the simpler it is the less part you have to go wrong. Well built gubins will last longer. universal parts are cheaper to fit than branded ones.

The Alpha 50 cant be recommended enough by my plumber and other plumbers
    It is going in my latest refurb a 6 bedroom house with 3 bathrooms.

The Alpha range has a very good reputation.

On the eco side: Solar hot water does save money however the cost to buy the cells/ tubes out ways the gains depending on how much water one uses.

Hope this is of some help. :j
  • satch
    satch Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Canucklehead,

I've got a final quote, I think we're going to use him. He quoted Supply and Fix Eco Pro 28 HE Combination Boiler plus System Cleaning and Powerflush £1800. I checked his Corgi membership and they comfirmed it. He seems to be allright. I'm going to ask him to draw a contract and also ask how much to upgrade to Greenstar CDi or Si. How long does it take, what the job includes. Is there anymore things I need to add in the contract or is there anything else I need to check?

Thanks
    Satch
  • gasbag1602
    Options
    Hi

I own a large portfolio of properties and as such have had a significant amount of Central Heating systems installed in them.

After years of dealing with plumbers ive finally found one that will do a good job, is Corgi registered and doesn't rip me off. He charges me £120 for an 8hr days labour with only half an hours lunch. In that time i generally talk to him about plumbing and keep up to date with whats going on in the industry.
    £15 per hour i think is very fair in today's world.
    There are plumbers out there who will work for £10 per hour but they are generally fully booked for the year.
    Plumbers who charge more, well good luck to them but they generally doesn't work a full 5 day week, as they have to spend more time hunting for jobs, and i believe in Karma!

A replacement like for like boiler well old for new takes about 4 hrs
    converting from a system to a combi can take up to 3 days depending on the layout of ones house
    If its just replacing a new combi boiler in the same location then the rip out can generally be done in a day.
    relocating a boiler from one end of a house to another may mean that the heating pipes will have to be changed as most heating systems start off with 15mm pipe to each radiator then go to 22mm at the end of the system if this is reversed then the flow will not work the radiators at the end of the heating circuit.
    A new central heating system combi boiler and 7 rads, in a standard 3 bed house can take as little as 6 days to install including 1 day to rip out the old system. If the plumber brings in a helper on £40 a day then this time is halved, generally 3 days. Other factors will be moving furniture and lifting floor boards etc..

I have had installed pretty much every make of boiler over the years and my two penny worth of info is you DO NOT get what you pay for.
    Whatever you buy most likely will break down on Christmas day or a holiday, or a Sunday and when it is freezing.

You can reduce this by servicing the boiler every year. A service costs me £60 to £90 which includes my landlords gas safety certificate.

I have to say the Germans still make things very well.
    In addition to this some of the cheapest makes have lasted longer and with fewer to no breakdowns than their more expensive competitors.

Biasi very impressed, being a strong contender,i put these in all of my smaller houses now. Heat line are also supposed to be good.

Raven Heat hmmmmmmmmmm. i have no love for these whatsoever.
    Motherboard gossip not good, Service department, hmm i must be very unlucky.

Worcester, i have contributed too many diaphragms, pumps and fans to this company. Year after year after year. You will not find any Worcester in my newer refurbish.

Valliant Eco tech, im impressed, so far so good great for bigger houses a bit expensive for smaller once would choose the Biasi purely down to cost.

Basically the simpler it is the less part you have to go wrong. Well built gubins will last longer. universal parts are cheaper to fit than branded ones.

The Alpha 50 cant be recommended enough by my plumber and other plumbers
    It is going in my latest refurb a 6 bedroom house with 3 bathrooms.

The Alpha range has a very good reputation.

On the eco side: Solar hot water does save money however the cost to buy the cells/ tubes out ways the gains depending on how much water one uses.

Hope this is of some help. :j

Typyical landlord fitting cheep crap and paying monkeys buttons!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure