how do i remove pen from a leather sofa

Options
hi any ideas how to remove a biro pen mark from a white leather sofa thanks in advance

Comments

• maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think I remember reading another thread about this and hairspray is the answer if it is a biro pen, BUT check this out on a small area first.
  • jacklink
    jacklink Posts: 778 Forumite
    Options
    i dont know how true it is but ive heard, read or listened to an old wives tale about milk removing ink :confused:.
  • Tigerlilley1980
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will help but when I bought my leather sofa I got a cleaning kit with it which included a stick that removed pen. Maybe if you go to a sofa shop they will have the kit, although I am not sure how much it will be. They even showed me in the shop how it worked by putting pen on one of the leather swatches and it did take it off.
    Married the most amazing man 05/12/09 and it was the best day ever, I'm a Mrs, he he!!
    :j
    Wins 2009: Peroni Alessi bowl woohoo, 1 in 10 wins DVD from Maltesers, Avon lippy!!!
    Freebies-Bold Gel, Coffee
    Pinecone Research - £9
    Mystery Shopping - £15
  • shaven-monkey
    Options
    http://www.tellmehowto.net/question/remove_biro_stains_23

Says pump action hairspray, the hairspray solvent is likely the active ingredient. Same stuff as is sold in leather stain removal kits.

Best to test on a non visible part of the leather first to make sure it doesn't crack the leather or take out the leather dye though.
    "Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves." - Norm Franz
  • baby_bronagh
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will help but when I bought my leather sofa I got a cleaning kit with it which included a stick that removed pen. Maybe if you go to a sofa shop they will have the kit, although I am not sure how much it will be. They even showed me in the shop how it worked by putting pen on one of the leather swatches and it did take it off.

I got a leather cleaning kit with my cream leather suite which included a lipstick sort of tube for removing ink. 3 days after it arrived my son sat on it with a burst pen in his back pocket!! It took about an hour to get it removed with the tube of ink remover but it did work!!

bb
  • vale46_2
    vale46_2 Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have removed pen and felt tip pen with nail varnish remover.but try on a small area underneath out off the way etc.first
    if you can use the same pen put a small mark underneath out of the way first where it wont be seen.
    then you could try to remove this new pen/mark to check it don't damage/mark your leather with the nail varnish remover and it does remove the pen before you try it on the main mark
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Hairspray is good for material, i wouldn't advise it on leather tho, milk and gentle rubbing action should b enough.

My son was colouring in - ended up with ink on his hands, i ended up with blue hand prints on cream leather sofa, tried hairspray first and it took some of the leather off the surface, got the rest off with milk and patience.
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Biro can be hard to shift but will dissolve eventually in an alcohol base. Try white spirit (but test very carefully first). Alternatives: leftover Christmas gin / vodka may do the trick but the same caution re: testing applies.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • paul_connolly
    Options
    please can anyone recommend a cleaner for my leather sofa,its cream and i bought brown throws to go over it i was shocked when i removed them to see all the brown dye from them on the sofa is there anything out there that can remove the dye safely ????
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,594 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Baby wipes worked on getting ink off ours - constant use of these may wreck it, but one use in five years will hardly cause planet meltdown. We did do it straight away though.

Try diluted Stardrops on your 'brown' sofa.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure