Car Parking Regulations

A road in my town has double yellow lines and the lamp post signs always allowed parking between 30th September to 1st May, thereby forbidding parking at any time during the Summer months. Now, however, the signs have been taken down giving the impression that parking is forbidden all year. Although, I know the highways (parking) is controlled by the County Council I suspect that this has been done at the request of the District Council whose car park is adjacent to the road.

Firstly, can anyone tell me if double yellow lines are legal without accompanying signs ? Secondly, presumably if the regulations have been changed where can the orders been read ?

Replies

• Neil_BNeil_B Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Double yellows apply at all times unless a seasonal variation as you describe applies.
    They only need signs to indicate additional loading restrictions if any.

Your TRO will be with the County Council but may also be held at District level. Basically just ask where and don't be fobbed off or surprised they haven't a clue what you are talking about! It is your right to view. Details below.

getting a TRO http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content...filesize=17349
    the procedure for creating one (which must be followed of the TRO is invalid)
    The Local Authorities' Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England and Wales) Regulations 1996

what should be in a TRO The Local Authorities' Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England and Wales) Regulations 1996 (No. 2489)
    - Statute Law Database
  • If the Traffic Regulation Order has been changed then it should have been advertised in the local press and a 6 week public consulation period should have been instigated...contact the County Council Highways Department/Transportation & Streets and ask them to confirm.

The fact the sign has been taken down does not mean any new order has come into effect...they could be taking it down in preparation.

Have you received a PCN?
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS