PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    ok, reduce temptation... good thinking . :)
  • sparklymessygirl
    Options
    crazybird wrote: »
    Hi everyone hope you are all well. I've just been making some brownies and I opened a tin of condensed milk by mistake. I realised and then opened what I should've in the first place - evaporated milk.

I've now got an open tin of condensed milk any ideas what I can do with this...all replies much appreciated. x

The only thing I know what to use it for is Millionaire's Shortbread - don't have a recipe but there are various versions on the net,

Sparkly

Edit: found this http://www.nestle.co.uk/OurBrands/Recipes/OldFavourites/Chocolate+Millionaires+Shortbread.htm
  • SAVVYMUMMY_2
    Options
    Happy New Year to everyone. Did my first shop today £50.89:eek: but shouldn`t need anything else for the week:rolleyes: . Anyway, must read and catch up with the rest of the thread. Catch u all later.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,768 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    had to throw away 6 packets of gone off flour

I never check the date on things in my packets and tins cupboard. I give everything a quick sniff. If it doesn't walk away or smell funny it just gets used......
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    crazybird wrote: »
    Hi everyone hope you are all well. I've just been making some brownies and I opened a tin of condensed milk by mistake. I realised and then opened what I should've in the first place - evaporated milk.

I've now got an open tin of condensed milk any ideas what I can do with this...all replies much appreciated. x

Condensed milk thread - might be some ideas on here ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • endemoniada_2
    Options
    No shopping yet this month

Using all in the cupboards and freezer.
    Baked bread and used leftovers with pasta for tea

Will be doing online shop with tesco to gain the 1000 points for 3 shops of £50 or over in January. Will use this to stock up!
    gone
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    sharronej wrote: »
    Say after me

I will not go in the supermarket and buy things I don't need
    I will not go in the supermarket and buy things I don't need
    I will not go in the supermarket ....................:rotfl:

you've hit the nail on the head for me, freezer and cupboards bulging but i still went shopping on friday:confused: .

in my defence i did a nice quorn casserole with loads of left over veggies on saturday and tonight we had hm mushroom soup.

will sort through the cupboards and see what eexactly i NEED to buy next week
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Just a quickie to say that Mr S has 6 packs of Diet Pepsi and Pepsi at £1.13 (less than half price) until Wednesday (I think).
    There were loads in my local store and so I've picked up 6 packs. I usually buy 2 cans a day from the machine in work at 60p a pop (unintentional pun!) so for less than the price of 2 cans I've got a pack of six - got to be a bargain! No more visits to the machine for a few weeks at least!:T

Its a bad addiction but at least its cheaper this way ;)
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi All

Just updated my sig, spent £10.21 in Somerfield yesterday. I needed a few bits for the kids pack lunches and picked up another box of PG Tips (160 for £1.70).

I need to get a pack of loo rolls and some spuds and some carrots tomorrow, will also pick up a box of dishwasher tabs, they are on offer too, half price I think!! I am really trying to limit my spends between now and Wed as that's when my big shop is coming from Asda. I do like to pick up extras when they are on offer though, and as this is my first month doing the changeover form weekly shopping to monthly, it will take a bit of getting used too.

I have a bag of frozen lamb cubes so will chuck those in the SC with the potatoes, and veg for a casserole to take us over the next two days.

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tip-toes in as not been online to-day to say........................................
    :naughty: stop buying sweeties:naughty:
    only joking;) hun

One of the first things I did when I joined was to go shopping every 10 days rather than weekly, it does make a difference.

I also find it cheaper to buy extra milk/bread etc from the corner shop as I am not tempted by the offers in Mr S, might pay a few pence more but cheaper in the long run...shame I didn't take my own advice last week:o

Never cook just one meal for dinner, eg. if making spag bol make enough for at least 4 and put 2 in freezer.

My hubby the same doesn't like HM bread unless its big chunky bits with soup so we have warburtons too.

will think on it for you
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family