PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Happy-Rags
    Options
    Hubby did Asda shop today, spent £41.42 and I've written cheque for £35 for school lunches for January. If we are to stay within our £300 monthly budget we only have £38 a week until end of the month.... we've been spending over £80 a week, so am not sure how we're going to manage this!!! All hubby and mine lunches this week have been bought, lots of whoopsies in Asda with a good date on them for lunch... soup, shepherd's pie etc (hubby's very good at bargain hunting ;))
    Grocery challenge:D
    O/S Weight Loss Lost so far - 0 st 0 lb :T
  • dreamingofmoney
    Options
    Hiya (again)
    Well been to Asda today and spent £51.48, i hope this is the biggest shop of the month, got enough mince to make plenty of chilli's, shepherds pie etc, but did get a bargain 16 loo rolls for a fiver so not too bad,
    There were loads of bargains to be had in the freezer section but held back as mine is groaning anyway.
    Does anyone keep their receipts so you can look at the end of the month and then see what was a waste of money? and does this work, goodness knows i need to learn how to stop buying rubbish
    Dreamer
    Debt free date May 20. Now the Mortgage1 £53862.45/£ 0% starting daily interest £4.48/£
    Jan GC £400/£Out of the water Feb £400/£
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    can anybody point me to the posts on making your own yoghurt? I can't find anything in search...:mad:
  • fatcattaff
    Options
    I'm keeping mine Dreamer. I want to study it at the end of the month (sad but true) I also want to trawl the supermarket comparison sites, maybe when I'm watching telly, see if I'm paying over the odds for stuff in Aldis/Lidl's/Mr T or Mr S's.

I'm looking at the recipe sites/links too as I've been a lazy so and so in the past and bought ready made everything!

I wish we had an Asda near us. Still...we have got Aldi's, Netto, Farm Foods, Morrisons, Sainsburys and Tescos on the doorstep (well within a mile or two) so I shouldn't grumble.
    Drop half a stone for January challenge.
    Grocery Challenge March £320/
    Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort. (Thank you Mr Roosevelt)
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    2 NSDs for us. Had 12 friends round for a get together last night (8 have spent the night), asked them all to bring something to contribute to the meal. Had plenty, also covered brunch this morning and have a vat of HM soup left over for tea tonight so a very cheap & socialable weekend.

I have managed to meal plan for a few nights this week
    Monday: Likely to be eating at parents
    Tuesday: Vegtable lasagne
    Wednesday: Mushroom rissotto
    Thursday: Fish pie
    Friday: Pasta & HM sauce

Lunch is likely to be HM soup (yet to make, which flavour? carrot & cummin or spicy parsnip) HM bread. We also have plenty of cheese, chutney, pickles, fruit & yoghurts.

Desert (if we have any) will be apple based, fruit, yoghurt or remainder of Christmas cake, mince pies etc (not sure if we will have any left over at the end of the today).

Breakfast will be porridge, cereal or toast (HM bread).

We have all the ingredients in for this so should be no extra costs, we will just have to see.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    day 4 of my first GC of the year and I am over halfway through my budget :eek:

I shopped in Morrisons yesterday and despite my best intentions the odd thing crept into my basket that wasnt on my list (pak choi, diet cream soda, a pineapple, some minced beef, and a red cabbage!!) and I ended up spending £34.44 I almost found myself getting caught out on a few things, picking up organic (more expensive) veg rather than the bulk standard or value veg. As I dont normally shop there, I found the whole experience stressful particularly as i had the trolley from hell!!!!!

Combined with what I have left over from xmas, this shop should see me through until at least the 21st Jan, hopefully later than that and even the end of the month perhaps??!! I only anticipate having to buy milk and sandwich chicken and the odd item for packed lunches so it should be possible to come in under budget. :D

I havent done my food planner yet so will try to sit down tomorrow and do this. Might have to do another stock take of my freezer / food cupboards etc as all the xmas bits I bought, I didnt add to my list.

I find the other posters really inspiring - turning todays roast into several meals lasting into next week.:j.
    finally - and as an afterthought - ive never cooked with red cabbage or pak choi? can anyone give me any pointers??

MRS M - Please can I amend my January budget if at all possible to £122.92 Many thanks :D
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    Options
    right i spent alittle today as DD decided she wants pack up tomorrow so had to get a few things was alittle naughty and bought a creme egg. can you believe they already have the easter eggs out :eek: but i will not spend gonna make lunches for tomorrow after dinner freezers still packed. went through the cupboards and very very very annoyed with myself had to throw away 6 packets of gone off flou and 2 carrier bags of stuff that used to look like something else... o well fresh start eh hope your all well x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • nigdeb2002
    nigdeb2002 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    can someone point me in the direction of .... spicy parsnip soup please.
    Too many parsnips left to waste :)
  • sharronej
    sharronej Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just been to Mr M's and spend £10.69 leaving me with the grand total of £4.31 FOR THE MONTH :eek: However, I shouldn't need anything other than bread flour and probably some ladies products so providing I stay away from the shops then it shouldn't be a problem. I picked up some good reductions at Mr M's and my fruit bowl is now overflowing with Apples, Bananas and Satusumas which always makes me feel nice and healthy :D I shall stew some of the apples to have in a crumble for later in the month and if I need to I don't mind going a bit overbudget if it's for fruit (got loads of frozen and tinned veg). I think the remainder of this month is going to be an exercise in will power!

Say after me

I will not go in the supermarket and buy things I don't need
    I will not go in the supermarket and buy things I don't need
    I will not go in the supermarket ....................:rotfl:
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does anyone keep their receipts so you can look at the end of the month and then see what was a waste of money?

Oh yes, I find it very informative or am I just sad?
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business