Payee name

Options
I have always wondered what happens if you put the wrong name on BACS but the sort code and accouont number is right?

Comments

• opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    Options
    It will go through based on the numbers provided.

EDIT: The post from BarclaysManager below highlights possible differences between institutions. It could well be that action or inaction is determined by value as well. Test it with a small amount if you know the destination is safe!
  • Extant
    Extant Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on how much the receiving bank cares, to be honest. Some will automatically check, some do not.

Barclays always had a "rejected entries" account, where anything that didn't match up would be sent and someone would try to find the recipient. Now, due to volume, they're all just rejected back to the sender. Same for FPS, obviously.

CHAPs operates in the same way, but someone actually will check for CHAPs - there's no automatic bounce on them.

Bear in mind, though, the automatic checking is probably very liberal, although I'm not entirely sure. I'd suspect a payment with the name "John David" on it would be accepted into either Mr John David or Mr John David Smith's account, for example.
    What would William Shatner do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family