We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Tomato pollination

Options
I intend to grow a few different varieties of tomato in my greenhouse this season, never having grown them before.
Do tomatoes need to be pollinated to set fruit?
What if I grew say just one variety on it’s own, would the fruit set?
What is the difference with F1 varieties, are they self-pollinating?

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tomatoes are usually pollinated by bees, although you can do it by hand with a paintbrush! You can grow one or more varieties, they will all be pollinated. F1s are the product of two particular parents and usually have some advantages and cost more than open pollinated plants.
  • pauldreed
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    ..... F1s are the product of two particular parents and usually have some advantages and cost more than open pollinated plants.
    But are F1's self pollinating, or are they also dependent upon bees?
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

The easiest way to help indoor tomatoes pollinate is to just tap their canes gently.... my mum does hers when she waters once the flowers on on... HTH
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    F1s are not self pollenating. f1s are selected for size and shape and many other reasons, not necessarily for taste and yes, they still need to be pollenated.

If you've never grown toms before, I'd suggest making a cuppa, and google 'growing tomatoes' and get a more rounded view of tomatoes before you start growing them.
  • Money_maker
    Options
    F1's tend to have a uniform shape as far as fruit is concerned or have compact growth or disease resistance. Some advantage usually intensified by hybridising. Many of the old varieties are delicious even if the fruit is various sizes.

Pollination occurs naturally - never heard of any problems with this in tomatoes.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • pauldreed
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, look forward to getting some tasty toms soon :)
  • pauldreed
    pauldreed Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just got a reply from a very nice Thomson & Morgan horticulturist;
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you for your recent email.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Tomato plants are self fertile, they do not require other tomato varieties to encourage fruit to set. When grown out doors pollinating insects visit the flowers and distribute the pollen which initiates fertilization. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]When growing plants under cover however it is beneficial to gently shake the trusses when in full bloom, which mimic the movements of pollinating insects and can help with fruit set.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]An F1 hybrid plant is the first generation seed from two parent plants, however saved seed from the plants will not grow true to type. It would be necessary to sow fresh seed each year.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.[/FONT]
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Paul absolutely right.

For most tomatoes the stamens cover the pistle and the fruit is self pollenated.

There are few exception where the pistle is longer and exposed or the flower is double. This generally applies to potato-leaved varieties (you can see them and most catalogues will list them as such), some beefstak tomatoes and the currant tomatoes.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport