just curious

Options
do you have to inform benefit people (if your on benefits) that you have been given gifts of money at xmas ?:confused:

Comments

• pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    My answer would be no you don't, but perhaps it would depend on how much you have been given and whether that takes you over the savings limit.

I've never declared gifts given as I didn't think you had to, so it would be interesting to read other responses on this one.

Pipkin xxxx
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Options
    Only if it takes you over the limit - so if you got £10,000 yes, if you got £10 definately not
  • jacklink
    jacklink Posts: 778 Forumite
    Options
    thankyou for that, so any gifts of money under £10,000 is ok not to declare ?
  • Auzelia
    Auzelia Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    I dont know about here.
    but my cousin who lives in Germany, was on the german version of jobseekers allowance and received their version of HB.

Her birthday is in January and received money into her bank account from our Uncle who lives in Poland.
    Just after that, the (lets call it jobcentre) jobcentre contacted her and wanted bank statements from her for the past 3 months to verify her income.
    This statement included the money she received and even though it was a birthday gift, she had money deducted from her allowance to make up for the fact she received it.

It wasnt like it was ££££ it was around €500. (Nice Uncle, own law firm :D )
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    jacklink wrote: »
    thankyou for that, so any gifts of money under £10,000 is ok not to declare ?
    capital above £6,000 means your benefits will be reduced -- so if the gift(s) plus whatever you already have as capital (savings, shares, premium bonds etc) are over £6,000 you need to let them know.
    Cheryl
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    do you have to inform benefit people (if your on benefits) that you have been given gifts of money at xmas ?:confused:

Assuming you're not trolling, you could use it to pay back the WTC that was overpaid a few weeks ago, or paid to you in error... :rolleyes:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1341655
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options

Means tested benefits have been coverted by cw18, but if the benefits are non means tested you do not have inform the DWP and there is no limit to the savings you can have.
  • briona
    briona Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Options
    healy wrote: »
    Means tested benefits have been coverted by cw18, but if the benefits are non means tested you do not have inform the DWP and there is no limit to the savings you can have.

From previous posts I'm pretty sure that jacklink is claiming JSA... Of course that might just be for troll-related posts so who knows?! :confused:
    If I don't respond to your posts, it's probably because you're on my 'Ignore' list.
  • uolypool
    uolypool Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Options
    what is trolling ??????? confused by this term
    Paul Walker , in my dreams;)
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    trolling - definition here
    Cheryl
This discussion has been closed.