🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Help Please ...

Options
Hello

After a while of being very unhappy in my marriage i have decided that after xmas i will be leaving my husband.
I have just finished Uni and am currently searching for a job, so in the meantime will have to claim Income Support for myself and 7 year old Daughter.

I am looking to move into private rented property, and have found a few locally that are ideally suited to myself.

My question is, does anyone know how long it would take for a benefit claim to be processed and also the same for payments of local housing allowance?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Happy_Girl_2
    Options
    JSA - I applied on 19/11 and got my first payment 5/12!

HB - I've been told by my local council applications are taking approx 3 weeks to process, but I don't know how long after that they make first payment. FWIW I haven't received any HB money yet!
  • Dooood
    Dooood Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Caz

I suggest you speak to your local council regarding their own targets.

I have a very negative experience of Income Support / HB applications - it took my local council 4 and a half months to process my claim!

I was already unemployed and actively seeking work on JSA when the Jobcentre found out by chance that I was a single dad in receipt of Child Ben / Child Tax Credits - one prolonged 'signing-on' session was making me late for picking my youngest up from primary school. From then on, my Jobcentre continually advised me to switch from JSA to Income Support - I couldn't see the point - I was still looking for work and the money was the same.

I eventually agreed and it proved to be a huge financial disaster for me.
    My JSA / CTB / HB stopped on March 16th and Income Support / CTB / HB commenced very end of July and originally backdated to end of June!
    Approx £2000 worth of rent / bills all went on credit card!!
    I was livid with the whole process it was totally unneccessary for me.
    I firmly believe my switch only benefitted the Jobcentre as I was no longer listed as unemployed.

I trust you'll not have to endure that fiasco.

You may have implications regarding the former marital home though - in particular, any assets you have within. If you had your own house / share of the house then 'your money' may exceed the savings allowed to qualify for IS / HB......???..... I could be wrong. You may also be advised or expected to remain in the family home - with your husband being forced leave by the courts - Legal Aid Lawyer for that one.

Above everything else, I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way about your marriage - I wouldn't wish a divorce / separation on anyone - especially with kids involved but..... I would never encourage anyone to tolerate a love-less / meaningless relationship.

Good luck anyway!!
  • cazH_4
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I currently live in a council property, and myself and husband are joint tenants. I have chosen to leave purely because when the time comes, he will kick up a stink about him leaving and will prob cause me no end of hassle.

Ill seek advice i think, before i start looking into renting elsewhere, and see what they say!

Thanks
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget that a private landlord or letting agency is going to want a bond (usually equivalent to a month rent) and months rent up front. In addition to that, all letting agencies do credit reference checks and many don't accept unemployed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport