🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Hotpoint or LG washing machine? Can't choose.

Options
Looking to purchase a:

hotpoint aqualtis aqgd169s

or

LG F1222TD5

They both have similar features- personally I like the design of the Hotpoint but ultimately I would like a reliable machine.

The LG is 1200 rpm and the Hotpoint is 1600rpm. As both have large drums I'll be using only twice a week so drying is not a real problem.

Comments

• skintcouncilworker
    Options
    Hi, in the latest Which? magazine LG got 85% and Hotpoint got 81% in Which? members customer reliability survey. The LG F1403FD (£550) got 70% score, the Hotpoint WML540 Aquarius (£280) got 58% and the Hotpoint WML520 Aquarius (£269) got 55% test score. In first place was the Zanussi ZWF16581 (£399) 71%, hope this helps.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    Try this site it's hosted by washing machine repairers and so they know which machines they have to fix the most.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=211
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • skintcouncilworker
    Options
    In the June 2008 edition of Which? the Hotpoint you mention got 64% test score, the LG WM12331 FD K got 65% and the LG WM12336FD got 65%. Hope this helps again.
  • blue_monkey_2
    blue_monkey_2 Posts: 11,435 Forumite
    Options
    I would never get a Hotpoint machine on account of the dreadful service received by Merloni who come to fix the machines. He forced a piece of it with a screwdriver instead of using the specilist tool and broke the machine more than it was already broken. I was left for 6 weeks without a machine with a new born baby and a 1 year old child. I spent most of my week in the launderette. It took weeks and week for them to sort and endless calls 'part is here, no it is not', engineers not turning up, etc... I spent hours on the phone sorting it out and the only thing that got it sorted and fixed was a letter to the MD and CEO in Italy.

So for this reason I'd never get a Hotpoint ever again. Unless it cost something silly like £50 so I could warrant chucking it away if it broke. If they are working then great but if they are not then Merloni come to fix it while it is under warranty - or if you have paid for extra warranty - and the service is shocking. I know others who have been in the same situation with Merloni too and being left for 6 weeks without a machine.

Merloni also fix/service Candy and Insesit machines.

There are going to be loads of offers on machines shortly now the sales are starting. I think Next have one in their sale - as do Additions Direct. I'd say to try John Lewis as they offer a free 3 or 5 year warranty and give free delivery. The reason you get a free warranty is because they know they are built to last.

http://www.johnlewis.com/Electrical+Appliances/Washing+Machines/Washing+Machines/Washing+Machines/8503/0/0/ProductType.aspx

Their sale starts at 6pm on 24th December so might be worth holding on for a few days and seeing what they reduce.

I know that this does not help with your choice but I thought I would tell you my experience of what happens when they need fixing.
  • mikeandrach_2
    Options
    the above post is slightly innacurate. merloni own hotpoint, indesit, ariston. they are all just names, merloni is the company, bit like with cars, peugeot and citroen are just brand names, the actual company is called PSA. they also own candy and cannon, althoug these are built totally independently. i sell hotpoint/indesit/ariston appliances, they are absolute crap, don't touch any of these brand names they are guaranteed to go wrong, lg are very good, miele are the best. take no notice of which magazine reports either they are often wrong, and as most which magazine readers would jump off a cliff if which reccomended it i wouldn't trust much of what they say to be honest
  • Chichi_2
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone who took the time to give such detailed and helpful responses. Merry Xmas!!!
  • kwatt
    kwatt Posts: 711 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mike,

Candy is the only privately owned appliance manufacturer in Europe now if memory serves, owned by the Fumagali family. They are not owned by or have anything to do with The Indesit Company which was formerly Merloni Domestic Appliances who have little to do with Antonio Merloni that owns Servis and Electra brand names in the UK and are the largest manufacturer of OEM product in Europe, or were till they went bust.

Candy owns the Hoover, Rosieres, Iberna and a few other brands.

Indesit owns Ariston, Indesit, Scholtes, Cannon, Creda and a few others as well as, IIRC, 51% of Philco.

A list of the main ones can be found here showing who owns what for the big well known ones. Most of the rest can be found in the manufacturer section of the site, in the advice and help bit.

I wouldn't touch LG or Hotpoint as well as quite a few others.

K.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    Having splashed out on a Miele, I would not buy anything else now, but I don't know that I will need to, it has a 10 yr guarantee
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • Well i'm a happy Hotpint owner! I stocked up my kitchen with Hotpoint Dishwasher, Fridge, Freezer, Washing Machine all of which flawlessly worked for 5 years before we moved house.

Due to kitchen layout i had to get a Fridge Freezer and also bought a Tumble dryer. None of them have missed a beat. So happy with the brand that I also got a matching Oven, Ceramix Hob & Hood!

Guess i must be the lucky one! (but then again I am 10000% happy with the service that i receive from AOL so what do i know eh?) :beer:
  • noonesperfect
    Options
    How much can you afford to pay Chichi? Zanussi Electrolux are getting a good write up and you can buy a machine for under £400.

Which? give Hotpoint the thumbs down for washing machines, as does an engineer I know.

Do you want free-standing or built in?
    :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills