Income support or JSA?

Options
last week i lost my job, usual story due to current times.

However, tomorrow i was going to call the Job Centre and talk about JSA.
This is where things get difficult.

I have a disabled child ( whom we get DLA and carers allowance for ) So i only want to work 16 hours a week and earn no more than £95

But, i also have a severe skin condition which i am on pretty nasty drugs for. The drugs mean i have to have blood tests twice a week, hospital visits every other week to see Skin Dr, hospital visits and therpy sessions for our disabled child etc etc...
My last boss was very understanding and i could take time off for appointments as needed andthen make it up on other days to co-inside with our son at school.

I only worked school times and will noy still want to work during school times because of the nature of our sons disability.

I am more than happy to work and earn my £95, that money pays for nice things in our life and usually gets saved. I want to go out and work so i can meet people, use my brain and not be stuck in the house. But with the hours i can do, i cant see me being very employable??

|Would i be better going for JSA or income support? Wouldthe drugs i am on and ongoing treatment / hospital visits make me entitled to income support? Am i even thinking along the right lines!!!
I have never had to do anything like this before and i am abit lost. Any advice would be gratefully received :rudolf:

Comments

• skint-student-nurse
    Options
    try www.direct.gov.uk for more detailed information and hopefully this will help you make a descision you feel is right. good for you for wanting to work tho! x
    ;)
  • SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Options
    Why only £95?

Bozo
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    because if you earn more than that you lose Carers Allowance
    Cheryl
  • cw18
    Options
    do you have a partner? If so, then IS may not be an option as it's based on joint income

if you've got the "correct" NI contribution history you can get Contributions based JSA (as long as they're happy with your restrictions on what you will be looking for). If you don't have the NI history, then it would be JSA (Income based) -- and that will also depend of your partners income.
    Cheryl
  • hitchins
    hitchins Posts: 687 Forumite
    Options
    I was informed (by the Job Centre) that if you are only looking for part time work you were unable to claim JSA. :confused:
    :heart2:Baby boy due 4th March 2011:heart2:
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    When I was on JSA they know and accepted i could only do part-time work on health grounds. I'm sure the OP could do the same given care duties and own medical needs.
  • Happy_Girl_2
    Options
    I'm sure I was told that to qualify for JSA you had to be looking to work over 16 hours a week?
  • LizzieS_2
    LizzieS_2 Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    Options
    cceg wrote: »
    I am more than happy to work and earn my £95, that money pays for nice things in our life and usually gets saved.

Why are you not happy to earn the £95 plus carers allowance?
  • cw18
    Options
    you don't get the Carers Allowance if you earn more than £95 -- earn a penny over that limit and you lose the full £27.75

So effectively you have to work for between 5 or 6 hours extra just to earn that back if you're on minimum wages !!!
    Cheryl
  • cceg
    cceg Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    you don't get the Carers Allowance if you earn more than £95 -- earn a penny over that limit and you lose the full £27.75

So effectively you have to work for between 5 or 6 hours extra just to earn that back if you're on minimum wages !!!

Carers alownace for me is £50.55 per week for having a disabled son. It is my 'wage' as they like to call it for after a disabled person. In my case getting up 4 times a night to attach him to a feeding tube, nappies etc. being a full time carer, this is why i like to get out and work while he is at school, so i can have time with other people.

Thanks, well i spoke to the job centre and they have agreed i will get JSA and look for something for 16 hours a week. They have agreed i am going to find it tough finding a job that meets our requirments, but they are sure something will come along :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure