🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

housing benifit

Options
my brother has a counsil flat, and i plan to move in with him, im disabled and i get highrate mobility and care dla my brother works full time and pays all the rent, if i go on the tenency as a joint tenent will i be able to claim half of the rent with housing benifit?

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Should be able to if it's joint. Only thingk is it could possibly be viewed as a contrived tenancy in which case, no.
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    jox wrote: »
    my brother has a counsil flat, and i plan to move in with him, im disabled and i get highrate mobility and care dla my brother works full time and pays all the rent, if i go on the tenency as a joint tenent will i be able to claim half of the rent with housing benifit?

It's highly unlikely that the council will let you go on the tenancy. If they do, HB may determine that you've contrived it to get HB anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport