🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Housing allowance granted..but less than my rent..what next?!!?

Options
Hi there fellow moneysavers and thanks for taking the time to read this thread.
I was recently made redundant from my job of 8 years.
I have been living in my privately rented flat for 18 months and have been paying £415 PCM for rent.
I went through the hassle of applying for housing allowance/housing benefit and got a letter today saying they are giving me £85 a week which is the maximum allowance here in Swansea.
Surely they don't expect me to make up the £95 a month shortfall out of my £242 a month jobseekers allowance?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and apologies in advance if this post is in the wrong place.
Candelabra

Comments

• Auzelia
    Auzelia Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=22229

it states here that the allowance for a 1 bedroom in swansea is £85 a week.
    So that is all you will be able to get, even if you live in a 2 - 3 - 4 bed property they will only pay you the allowance for a 1 bedroom.

So you would either have to pay the shortfall or look for anther property.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    yes they do -- either that or move into cheaper accomodation.

Over a year it's actually about £47/month shortfall, but initially you will have to find more as they pay rent every 4 weeks (to the best of my knowledge)

£415 x 12 = £4980 / yr
    £85/wk = £340 per lunar month = £4420 / yr

so a shortfall of £560 a year -- or £10.77/wk, or £46.47 per calendar month, or £43.08 per lunar month
    Cheryl
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    sadken wrote: »
    I went through the hassle of applying for housing allowance/housing benefit and got a letter today saying they are giving me £85 a week which is the maximum allowance here in Swansea.
    Surely they don't expect me to make up the £95 a month shortfall out of my £242 a month jobseekers allowance?

Yes they do. They will only allow you a rebate to the typical value of the type of accommodation you need, which as a single person is a bedsit or 1 bedroom flat of average rental value. Be grateful you're not under 25 as they deem house sharing acceptable.
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    Do Discretionary Housing Payments still exist? If so you could appy for a top up but don't expect to get more than £5 or £10 a week
  • sadken
    sadken Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much for the replies.
    I am settled where I live and don't want to move.
    I can hardly help how much my rent is, it seems seriously unfair to expect me to A move or B make up the massive (when you only get £60 a week) shortfall.
    Seriously worried about my next move now as the job market is so terrible right now.
    I can see me having to move back in with Mam and Dad!
    The problem is, in Swansea, all I could get for £85 a week is a !!!!!! little bedsite in student land.
    I am hardly in the lap of luxury where I am living on a main road in a one bedroom flat with peoiple living above me!
    Seems unfair as I have been paying my taxes and working solidly for the last 20 years.
    Candelabra
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options

I can hardly help how much my rent is, it seems seriously unfair to expect me to A move or B make up the massive (when you only get £60 a week) shortfall.

Well, you can help how much your rent is, you can move! It shouldn't come as any surprise to you as you found this out several months ago. Unfortunately, when you're unemployed you have to make all sorts of adjustments in terms of accommodation, food, travel and etc. I hope you can find another job soon; I'm not being unsympathetic, only realistic.
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    T
    I am settled where I live and don't want to move.
    Seriously worried about my next move now as the job market is so terrible right now.
    Seems unfair as I have been paying my taxes and working solidly for the last 20 years.

You have to cut your coat etc. Unfortunately when you are not working, for whatever reason, then economies have to be made.

It would be unrealistic to think life would be as it was when you were working, if it was everyone would do it. You are reaping the benefit of the tax and NI you have been paying. It is just there are financial limits on what you get.
  • sadken
    Options
    Well, you can help how much your rent is, you can move! It shouldn't come as any surprise to you as you found this out several months ago. Unfortunately, when you're unemployed you have to make all sorts of adjustments in terms of accommodation, food, travel and etc. I hope you can find another job soon; I'm not being unsympathetic, only realistic.
    Yeah, right..just move house..i'll tell you what i'll do it tomorrow after brekkers!
    It's hardly cost cutting, having to move house..it is a major upheaval and really difficult to get somewhere that isn't in a high crime area for a measly £85 a week rent that accepts people on benefits.
    Besides which, I really don't want to move home..I am totally settled here and have great neighbours...if this is all the money I am going to get, I think I need to speak with my landlord to see if he can come to some arrangement whilst I am out of work.
    Candelabra
  • sadken
    Options
    krisskross wrote: »
    . You are reaping the benefit of the tax and NI you have been paying. It is just there are financial limits on what you get.
    How about a person I know who has never worked and gets the same benefits as me?
    What is he reaping?
    Candelabra
  • sadken
    Options
    Well, you can help how much your rent is, you can move! It shouldn't come as any surprise to you as you found this out several months ago.
    I meant I couldn't help how much my rent was BEFORE I got made redundant!
    I didn't move here AFTER I lost my job, I have been here for ages.
    Candelabra
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family