🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Insuring a home that is being revonated

Options
I am a first-time buyer purchasing a repossession property. I am planning to get around £20,000 of internal refurbishment done on the property prior to moving in. I currently live in rented accommodation and hold contents insurance with 5 years no claims.

I need (at least) buildings insurance on the new property, while maintaining the contents insurance at my rental property. This seems to be causing major problems - as both the buildings and contents insurers will only cover me if it is my 'main residence'. I am also struggling to find affordable buildings cover as I will not be living there full-time in the first instance and the fact I will be doing building works is also raising the premium.

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport