What benefits am i entitled to if living with parents?

Options
13»

Comments

• UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a shame the OP & her partner aren't going to live together, buying a house is all very nice & that but not essential, Dad being there to see the baby/look after it/be a DAD to it IS. You have to make sacrifices to have kids, think of the baby & be a family! Why should Dad & baby miss out? Would the OP like it if the Dad took her baby & she missed all the firsts? I do hope the situation gets sorted but please don't split the family up!
  • kompess
    kompess Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    I was wondering, if you have been made redundant and OH is to be made redundant......why the heck do you want to save for a house? Isnt it a bit risky? You'd be far better renting.
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I never stated i wanted benefits to save. The savings are coming from OHs wage. WE have decided this together - not me being selfish. I just wanted to know whether the benefits i am able to claim becoming a parent etc would be lost living with mum and dad because of their household income. It was a simple question, or so i thought :rolleyes:

We are doing this to better our child, no money and no savings in a rented house that has damp and mould that costs too much to heat to me isnt the environment id like my child to be in. Much rather at my parents with OH there in evenings and staying over the weekend (like he would be if at work but minus night feeds) for a year to save up (whether we can get a mortgage or just a better rented house etc).

Basically all i wanted to know is whose wages the benefits will take into account, im not bothered about 'missing out' on single parent benefits as i am part of a couple - i just like to know - trying to be organised and all that jazz - jeesus help the poster who thinks children from divorced families are screwed up and thinks its ok to assume every family in this situation split up without taking into account how strong they are as a couple. How do you think people cope whose OHs/dads are in the army away for long periods of time?

Anyway I think it would have been easier (and less stressful) for me to phone the bloomin' Jobcentre than get my head bitten off for fraud etc - thanks to those that actually tried to help :o

Sarah
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • margaretclare
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I'm not normally moved to respond to these 'political' posts (I usually keep well out of them) but to me the words of original thread posted 'What benefits am I entitled to...' say it all. Why should anyone feel they have the right to claim benefits as a form of saving. It's taxpayers money, designed as a safety net for people in great need. The benefit system is not here for people to manipulate to their own ends. OP has a reasonable income and has decided to have a child. If they decide to move in with parents to save money, that's their choice. But to expect benefits to add to their savings????

I agree with this.

'We found we were expecting....' as if there was no connection between what you get up to in bed and the resultant bump in your tummy. Does no one learn basic biology any more? Do we not live in a time when contraception was freely available to all, with numerous different methods to suit your preference? Does no one think that, as an adult, it's best to take control of your life, decide what happens to you rather than being at the mercy of every 'ill wind' that blows?

And what do the parents think of all this? I can imagine the reactions of a much older generation. 'You should have thought of that before you...' and 'You made your bed, now lie in it'. They are the ones I feel sorry for. There isn't room for the couple plus baby to live with either set of parents, so there isn't much room at all, is there? They are the ones who are going to have their lives turned upside down and have the stress and inconvenience.

If you can't make ends meet then 'saving to buy a house' is a pipe-dream. It goes out of the window. It's one of those vague aspirations that can be put on the back burner until your financial state gets a lot, a lot better. Saving is good - you never know what you're going to need, or when, but 'saving to buy a house'? Unrealistic, forget about it, concentrate on the problems you have now.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Can I remind everybody that happytails has never suggested that they are going to do anything that would constitute fraud, indeed it was not even Sarah that suggested claiming as an individual.

Furthermore, Sarah never asked for opinions on her living arrangements. That is, quite frankly, nobodys business but her own.

Sarah, if you need any help, feel free to PM me.

It is threads like this that remind me why I do not disclose details of my own relationship to people. :rolleyes:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with this.

'We found we were expecting....' as if there was no connection between what you get up to in bed and the resultant bump in your tummy. Does no one learn basic biology any more? Do we not live in a time when contraception was freely available to all, with numerous different methods to suit your preference? Does no one think that, as an adult, it's best to take control of your life, decide what happens to you rather than being at the mercy of every 'ill wind' that blows?

Wouldnt it be nice if contraception actually worked 100% of the time - not all of us have sex without thinking - for some % the contraception actually fails!
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    Benefits issue aside, your child will be find in a rented house with both of you there to love him/her.

You can get LHA if your OH does lose his job and in your position, and the current economic climate, renting is by far the least stressful option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure