Options
13»

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MMLS wrote: »
    That's the way I understand it too but I keep hoping that there's some loophole! I will be contacting the International Office as you suggest.

Thank you.

There are several loopholes, but it is not clear whether they will help you. For example, does your husband work for a British company? That might help. And your regular visits home to stay with your parents could perhaps demonstrate that you continue to be "ordinarily resident" in the UK.

If you could afford to buy and let out a property, perhaps you could buy yourselves a family home in the UK and let it during your stay in the Middle East. Incidentally, paying tax does not make much difference.
  • WolfSong2000
    WolfSong2000 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, if your daughter is classed as an EU resident (which she may well be as she has a German passport) then she may not have to pay any fees if she goes to a University in Scotland, as if you're Scottish or EU citizen (aside from England), then you get your fees paid for you.
  • Mrsmoneypenny
    Mrsmoneypenny Posts: 311 Forumite
    edited 16 April 2009 at 7:13AM
    Options
    We also live in middle east, for over 22 years, with our two children at different stages. My husband works for a British company but that has never been a question we were asked. We are all British citizens from birth.

Our son went back to boarding school in England to do GCSE and A levels. He was in UK 4 years before starting uni last September.

The three year ruling applied to us, at the time it was a matter of - was he in UK just for education. the answer was no. He was in education but that was not the only reason he was in UK. Other friends of his from Hong Kong, China, Thailand, Indonesia had gone to difference boarding schools for GCSE and A level but all paid overseas fees. In each case there fathers were British and mothers were a different nationality.

Anyway he got charged as a home student and got his loans.

This year he is changing his course and univeristy. He has an unconditional at his chosen univeristy and so we thought things would run smoothly. He has applied to Student Finance England.

He filled in the online application and passport details and signed the passport forms, sent them off. Online it said he didnt need to supply and further ID. This later changed.

He rang them and he was told that there was a query on his account because of the years he had spent in Saudi Arabia.

They asked for evidence that his stay in SA was temporary.
    He asked how he could get that.
    They said bc he had lived in Saudi Arabia they needed to see his rental agreement (??) or his work contract. He pointed out that he was a child at the time and didnt have either. They then asked him to send his dads contracts in (which is a very odd thing to be asked). We wont be sending them a copy of the contract.

He was asked quite a few questions, how long in UK, who he lived with, where he lived now, where we lived, why we were away.

They then said that things are being done a bit differently this year and were not too clear on what evidence they needed in his position.

He had had loans and his fees set as a home student the previous year, but for some reason this is getting complicated. When he pointed that out to Student Loan - England, they said that things had changed and everything goes through the local council, but they would clarify it and call him back.

Later on they called him and said they needed evidence from his boarding school to state he had been there for his education and the dates he attended.

We have now contacted his school and they will write to Student Finance England, we await the outcome.

I am not sure whether the change of name has meant a change in other things or that we were unlucky to get an operator that had not come across the situation before, but my suggestion would be to call them explain the situation, tell them the facts and see if they have a rule on this. I am not worried about our son, i do think he will be classed as a home student and that he will get his loans. It is just taking longer than expected to sort things out.

The OP has plenty of time to sort things out and get the information needed, however, i dont think it hurts to get some first hand information on this from STE.
  • MMLS
    MMLS Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for taking time to reply.

Unfortunately my husband is not working for a British company so no help there I'm afraid. We do return for several months of every year - and myself longer than that because of my parents.

I'm going to get in touch with relevant people today but it's not looking good. Seems such a shame that the only reason we moved abroad is that my husband couldn't find work in the UK and refused benefits. We haven't emigrated and have everey intention of returning to the UK, but my son is going to lose out because we can't afford the fees.
  • Mrsmoneypenny
    Options
    I think they only way round MMLS situation is to get the son off to boarding school for A levels and then have a year in UK with relatives.

If a relative is willing to have the son at their home while he attends a local state school that would be a lot less expense than school fees, does your husbands company pay school fee where you are? They may convert it to boarding fees if you ask.

Boarding schools are feeling the pinch now, so it could be that you could even negotiate a deal with them. As you PM me, i think i would know the school in Bahrain where you son attends, its not cheap so you may find that you could find somewhere in UK that wouldnt be too much more.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MMLS wrote: »
    Thank you all for taking time to reply.

Unfortunately my husband is not working for a British company so no help there I'm afraid. We do return for several months of every year - and myself longer than that because of my parents.

I'm going to get in touch with relevant people today but it's not looking good. Seems such a shame that the only reason we moved abroad is that my husband couldn't find work in the UK and refused benefits. We haven't emigrated and have everey intention of returning to the UK, but my son is going to lose out because we can't afford the fees.

Use google to read up on the term "ordinarily resident". This is one of the tests to determine whether you have to pay home or overseas tuition fees, and there is no rigorous definition, but there seems to be plenty of evidence that you are "ordinarily resident" in the UK.

Sad to say, these problems arise from the calls that the Right make for the government to crack down on foreigners benefiting from the services provided by the British taxpayer.
  • MMLS
    Options
    Thank you Voyager - am ploughing through now as suggested!

One of the defintions of ordinarily resident for tax purposes is that a person would have been in the UK for 90 days in that tax year. I was there for more than 90 days - my husband less and my son just about 90 days.

I've emailed the relevant departments and wait to hear from them. Am quietly hopeful but not counting any chickens!

Hi Mrsmoneypenny. My son won't need to board as I'll be with him. We'll be living with my parents so that I can care for them.
  • Mrsmoneypenny
    Options
    Sorry i read that as being your son wanted to stay in Bahrain and do his A levels at his present school and then go on to university in UK.

Like I said in one of my previous posts, last year our son needed to prove he was in UK for the previous three years before starting his univeristy course for purposes other than education, he too was born in UK went to Middle East by three months old and returned to UK at 15. They never took into account any time going backwards and forward to UK, whether we owned property.

This year they have requested a letter from his school to say he was at school in UK and between which dates.

If he went with you to UK, as you have said in another post, did his A levels and then had a year working that would all go towards his three years.

They only way you will know is by asking them. However, it appears things change from one year to the next.

I do hope you are successful in your application, I think a lot of people over here find themselves in this situation, in a way we were very lucky to have sent our son off just at the right time, we didnt know anything about the three year ruling.

Good luck, might see you at the circuit if your going to the Grand Prix!
  • MMLS
    Options
    Sorry i read that as being your son wanted to stay in Bahrain and do his A levels at his present school and then go on to university in UK.

You're not wrong - I'm the one confusing the issue - apologies.

The original idea was for he and I to go to the UK for two reasons - he to do his A levels, me to accompany him and to look after my parents. As we get closer to that time though we've started to backtrack and would prefer to stay here (with me going back and for as usual to keep an eye on mum and dad). It really looks like we'll have to return to the original plan though and, if we have no other choice, he'll have to take a gap year too. I have got in touch with several people who might have some ideas for us so we're keeping options open for the time being.

I am really very gratified that people have taken time and trouble to reply to my post.
  • MMLS
    Options
    No Grand Prix for us this year but hope you have a fantastic time there :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business