Virgin Atlantic Credit Card with MBNA

Options
There seem to be two offers - the white card and the black card. The White card offers 2000 free points when you sign up and has no annual fee. You collect 1 point per £.

The Black card offers 6000 free points when you sign up and has an annual fee of £115. You collect 2 points per £.

But if you look at the virgin website for the US, there's another card you can get which has an annual fee of just $90 (£50ish), you get 3 points per £ and you get a whopping 20000 free points when you sign up.

Why do the Americans get such a good deal from signing up to the same scheme? Surely that punishes us Brits who clearly don't get a fair deal. It's all with Virgin Atlantic and MBNA/Bank of America (same entity they tell me).

Can anyone recommend a good choice of card for loyalty points?

Comments

• DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    To answer the why the UK get shafted, cos we bend over and take it :)

Can't help with the loyalty card I'm afraid, I prefer hard cash.

Cheers, Des.
  • rlc22
    rlc22 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    There seem to be two offers - the white card and the black card. The White card offers 2000 free points when you sign up and has no annual fee. You collect 1 point per £.

The Black card offers 6000 free points when you sign up and has an annual fee of £115. You collect 2 points per £.

But if you look at the virgin website for the US, there's another card you can get which has an annual fee of just $90 (£50ish), you get 3 points per £ and you get a whopping 20000 free points when you sign up.

Why do the Americans get such a good deal from signing up to the same scheme? Surely that punishes us Brits who clearly don't get a fair deal. It's all with Virgin Atlantic and MBNA/Bank of America (same entity they tell me).

Can anyone recommend a good choice of card for loyalty points?

It's not the same scheme - the US card is different in terms of earnings etc and it's in a different market. It's not unique to Virgin Atlantic either. BA also have a different credit card for US customers and presumably offers different benefits to the UK card.

I guess that the right card for you depends on how much you're going to spend on it and how you plan to spend the Flying Club miles that you earn from that spending - basically working out your "spend per mile" taking into account the annual fee for the black card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure