Oil filled radiator trips electricity after 10 minutes

Options
Hi,

I have a delonghi dragon 3 plug in oil filled radiator which worked fine last year. but the other day i plugged it in to take the chill off the hall way, it got nice and hot as it should then after about 10 minutes it tripped the electricity. So i reset the switch on the consumer unit and tried again and it done the same thing. Does anyone know what has happened and if the heater is easily fixed. I dont understand what could have happened as its been sat in the spare room since last winter its not like its been knocked or had anything spilled on it. Seems to have decided to play up.

Thanks

Comments

• latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried checking the plug and flex to make sure there is nothing wrong with them? Have you also tried plugging it into a different plug socket?
  • Mr_BOOMBASTIC
    Options
    Hi, Latecomer.

I have tried those but all seems o.k.

Cheers
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    latecomer wrote: »
    Have you tried checking the plug and flex to make sure there is nothing wrong with them? Have you also tried plugging it into a different plug socket?
    did it trip the consumer unit when plugged into another socket we had one socket in the kitchen which was a double which the toaster kept tripping out:confused:
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • rando
    rando Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    I had this problem last year with an oil filled radiator and ended up scrapping it and buying a new one but when I cam to use it again this year the new one started tripping the electricity after about 5 minutes. I tried several plug sockets but were all the same . I was about to scrap this one but then tried it in my surge protector extension sockets that I have all my computer equipment plugged into and hey presto it works without tripping the electrics. Maybe worth giving it a try if you have a surge protecter.
    :footie: Rando
  • Mr_BOOMBASTIC
    Options
    Thanks Rando, That sounds good to me as their not cheap to buy new ones as its only over 1 year old.
  • sniperpenguin
    Options
    Its heat related.... the power draw from one of these units is quite high, and on some sockets can be excessive. This is viewed as a surge and the electricity trips as a result.

Place it on a surge protected strip or via a gang-reel with a heat trip. Youll be surprised with the results
    "Getting Married" - The act of betting half of everything you own on the fact you will love someone forever :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure