prescription cost - exemption? help!

hi,

my mum is newly disabled and has cancer.
she will shortly be discharged from hospital and we have just realised we are going to be in charge of getting her drugs (i know we are abit slow but we had other things to worry about)

do you know if she will be entitled to any help with the costs of these drugs?

she is not in reciept of any benefits and we are waiting to hear about her DLA application.

Comments

• As far as I'm aware she could for the time being purchase a PPC( pre paid certificate) where you pay a set price for prescriptions in a given period (3 months or 12 months). Apparently in April 2009 cancer is to be added to the prescription exemption list. Therefore, it might be worth considering buying a 3 month PPC until this time. Then from April she wouldn't have to pay.

Not sure how depended this is on where you live though (I'm in Scotland so know prices are a bit different up here but maybe someone with a bit more knowledge will come along)

You may want to check out this link at the Breast Cancer site as it details the cost etc http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=3315
    2020 Mortgage-Free Wannabes #20 £1495.03/£2760 OP
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Check with the hospital, I think there's been a very recent change so that people diagnosed with cancer don't have to pay for their prescriptions.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • h007
    h007 Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As far as I'm aware she could for the time being purchase a PPC( pre paid certificate) where you pay a set price for prescriptions in a given period (3 months or 12 months). Apparently in April 2009 cancer is to be added to the prescription exemption list. Therefore, it might be worth considering buying a 3 month PPC until this time. Then from April she wouldn't have to pay.

Not sure how depended this is on where you live though (I'm in Scotland so know prices are a bit different up here but maybe someone with a bit more knowledge will come along)

You may want to check out this link at the Breast Cancer site as it details the cost etc http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=3315

thanks that link is really useful - think we will be getting the pre pay for now
  • h007 wrote: »
    thanks that link is really useful - think we will be getting the pre pay for now

By the looks of it thats the best option - might be worth checking with your GP just to confirm
    2020 Mortgage-Free Wannabes #20 £1495.03/£2760 OP
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    This might interest you:

News link

To get a definitive answer go to the official English NHS website:

NHS link
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure