Help with kitchen worktop with gloss units please

Options
I am in desperate need of some help, comments etc with my new kitchen. Am going to take the plunge after much agonising and stress and order Howdens cream or white gloss units. Big dilemma is whether to go with real wood (iroko or oak) of dark grey laminate top. I have heard bad stories about the wood re maintenance and user friendliness as I have 2 teen daughters, one elderly dog and 2 cats so alot of traffic! My concern with the laminate is that the dark grey might look cold.

Other major headache (one of many) is flooring. Going away from ceramic because of cold under foot and so hard. Any suggestions to look good with the gloss units. Would like a modern look but warm and user friendly. Have gone away from shaker as think this is looking passe. My current 1980s white kitchen still looks ok but am having wall knocked through so one kitchen diner and units have to go!! Any help would be very gratefully received.

Comments

• WaveyDave_2
    Options
    I've got the cream gloss. I originally intended going for Iroko, but was dissuaded (ending up getting granite - not very MSE!), partly because of the maintenance.

I've got solid oak flooring, which goes nice with the colour of the units, doesn't look too modern, but isn't old fashioned either (contemporary you might say).
  • JorgAlBear
    Options
    I have just put in Howdens black gloss units (I am very happy with them) and have oak worktop and elm v-groove Laminate from Wickes which is very inexpensive and looks a bit more like real wood than others I found. The wood worktop does need a bit of maintenance, but if you spill/scratch you can just sand the marks out! I will try to post some pictures if I can work out how to do it!
  • BB1984
    BB1984 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    Options
    I have recently put in the white gloss Howdens units (love them!). We have the zebrano laminate worktop and oak-effect laminate on the floor. Would have loved real wood for both but couldn't afford it. Was slightly worried about the different "woods" clashing, but actually it looks pretty good.

BB
    :love:"Live long, laugh often, love much":love:
  • paintpot
    paintpot Posts: 764 Forumite
    Options
    I've got the cream high gloss units from Howdens with the oak worktop and howdens oak floor. I am very pleased with it.

You do need to be careful with the high gloss. I think when I cleaned mine I had a tiny bit of grit on the cloth and I've scratched a door :mad:

The worktop, you do need to be careful of staining but I had two big chopping boards made out of the worktop and have two glass chopping boards that are heat resistant so I always of plenty of places to put things down without staining the worktop.

As for the floor, oak does dent quite easily if you drop something for example and I'd be a bit careful if you have a dog as it might become scratched. Karndeen (sp) might be more practical than oak. I've heard good things about karndeen and I've seen it down and it looks great.

I went for slate grey tiles which are also high gloss for the walls. I thought that might be too much gloss but I'm very pleased with the overall result.

Decisions decisions ......
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    I have just installed white gloss units in the utility room and fitted it with a black granite look worktop. I am really pleased with it, so would definitely recommend the combination. I have just installed porcelain tiles so can't help with the floor suggestionsI am afraid.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another chance to show ours off!!

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii4/vansboyuk/?action=view&current=IMG_2103.jpg

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii4/vansboyuk/?action=view&current=IMG_2099.jpg

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii4/vansboyuk/?action=view&current=IMG_2104.jpg

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii4/vansboyuk/?action=view&current=IMG_1703.jpg

http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii4/vansboyuk/?action=view&current=IMG_1705.jpg

Ikea white gloss, with Ikea stone effect black (also available as stone effect grey, slightly lighter.) Like a lightly speckled finish - non glossy. Couldn't afford granite, plus, if you see any previous posts, I do think it'll be a shame, in a few years time, all the skips full of out of fashion wood OR granite surfaces!!

& the red, is same worktop, but gloss red, in our flat.

Plus once you have one type of wood effect, it dictates what you also need to go with it, on other furniture/floor etc.

As for cleaning, our third glossy instalation & as I do all the housework, can safly say, no scratches on anything we've had!

I use a spray glass cleaner - £8 5lts from contract cleaner suppliers, locally. & microfibre cloths.

One thing with the Ikea gloss finish, is when delivered/installed, they have a plastic protective film, which you peel off. It says on the instructions - which I'd guess lots people miss - to gently wash the surfaces with mild soapy liquid, to help with hardening, as soon as they are unwrapped!!

VB
  • kerryurz
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. That is just the combination I have been agonising over. I think the wood looks so warm and just think I will have to bite the bullet and go for it!! I will investigate the Kardean as I think it is a good alternative to wood or laminate.
  • kerryurz
    Options
    Thanks for that, would love to see some pics of your white and wood worktop if you work it out!
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a look for posts about wooden worktops, by Doozergirl - she knows her stuff! BEFORE you order!

I'm only on here for a couple of minutes just now, so will also see if I can search them, later on!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure