House Insurance and Flood

Have a bit of a problem that I need advice on.

In November, I had a flood from the tank in the bathroom overnight which went into and flooded my lounge.

I called the insurance company immediately and they sent people out and drying people etc etc. In the end it was apparent that the lounge needed redecorating, new carpet, new furtniture etc. The insurance company have been very good and have approved all of it.

Well, on Monday the builders came to take down the first part of the ceiling and found that the bathroom floor was badly affected too which would mean having to strip the bathroom too and put in a new floor. When he looked deeper he found that one of the beams (which is apparently a load bearing beam, was extremely damp and rotten which meant he would need to get the assessor in again which happened today. The assessor has said that as the beam was nothing to do with the flood I had and was a longstanding problem that the insurance company wouldn't cover it.

Basically, I have to pay for a structural engineer to come in and assess the way to deal with it all ie can they support the beam or will they have to take it out etc etc which I am having kittens about because I have visions of my house falling down but mostly about how much its going to cost.

I have to go along with it because I have half the ceiling down in my lounge and can't decide not to go ahead with it.

I should point out that the house was built in 1850 and I had a full structural survey done on it 3 years ago when I bought the house. The assessor today has said I will have no reproach with the surveyor because the beam is so deep into the ceiling that he wouldn't have been able to tell. Which makes me wonder what on earth I was doing paying all that money to have the survey done in the first place.

So. Any adivce out there as to what I do next. Anything I can suggest to the insurance company as to why they should still pay for the beam work etc because it was obviously caused by other flooding etc etc and I am covered for accidental damage. I am in such a quandry because I have visions of the film Money Pit where they keep uncovering worst and worst situations as they take out more of the ceiling.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How do they know it wasn't caused by the most recent flooding?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • They gt an assessor in to look at it who suggested that particular beam had long term damag. I do't understand why that wouldn't be covered by house insurance aswell though if there had been another form of leak that had happened over time
  • impy78
    impy78 Posts: 3,157 Forumite
    The reason it wouldn't be insurec is that damage whioch existed outside of the period of insurance, or any damage from a "gradually operating cause", (eg damp), are excluded from most, if not all insurance policies.

However, as you had a structural survey done, which did not state this on it, I would still go back to the insurance company about this.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    From what impy says, it might be worth challenging them on this, because unless the assessor says "that beam's been getting wet for at least 20 years" then you might be able to claim full costs on the grounds that there's been some kind of leak at some point in the last 3 years. I know you're not covered for 'wear and tear', so it might be they'll say something like "oh the seal at the edge of the shower obviously hasn't been renewed in the last 20 years so the damage was probably caused by that" - it's not a straightforward thing at all, I'm afraid ... But if it's extremely damp and rotten then it doesn't sound like it's a minor amount of water been getting through to me. But I'm no expert. There might be people on the In My Home board who can help. Also the insurance co. will always try to get away with paying as little as possible, if you put up a fight you may well get more than they first offer even if not the whole amount.

Another thought: is your buildings insurance arranged through your mortgage provider? Or separate?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • eilz
    eilz Posts: 354 Forumite
    on a slightly diff note, I have damp upstairs in my bedroom, which I belive is being caused by a small leak in the roof, (actually I think its inbetween the flashing). My policy states it would cover upto £500 worth for something like a leak in the roof providing it happened during bad weather/and/or flood. Should I wait till the weather get worse or can I make a claim and get it sorted out with the insurance policy or get someone local and get it fixed?

I realise wear and tear is not covered, I did not do a structured survery when I brought, I did look up into the attic, and one beam feels slightly damp. I'd appreciate any help on this.
  • impy78
    impy78 Posts: 3,157 Forumite
    eilz wrote:
    on a slightly diff note, I have damp upstairs in my bedroom, which I belive is being caused by a small leak in the roof, (actually I think its inbetween the flashing). My policy states it would cover upto £500 worth for something like a leak in the roof providing it happened during bad weather/and/or flood. Should I wait till the weather get worse or can I make a claim and get it sorted out with the insurance policy or get someone local and get it fixed?

I realise wear and tear is not covered, I did not do a structured survery when I brought, I did look up into the attic, and one beam feels slightly damp. I'd appreciate any help on this.

No, you would not be covered - damp is excluded from household insurance, as is any damage caused by a gradually operating cause (over a period of time), so no, it wouldn't be covered.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Smi1er
    Smi1er Posts: 642 Forumite
    eilz wrote:

Your house is your biggest asset and you want to wait and make an insurance claim on it?

Your insurance is insurance, not a maintainence contract.
  • Personally I would get a second opinion as it does sound like a bit of a big job. I have posted on another thread in this section my experience with water leaks from above and the interesting thing was that on the same day thwe assessor/surveyor came round, yesterday, I had an electrician in doing some work. I told him what was going on and after the insurance guy had gone he took a look and explained that indeed there did not seem any obvious damage from the roof itself but explained that capillary action from the cistern overflow was probably at the bottom of what was going on. Given the total circumstances I believe he is right and I shall now get another surveyor in to check before I shell out thousands to repair a fault that may not exist! My point is that surveyors appear as fallible as the rest of us so if you can find one that will state a different point of view you may yet succeed with your claim. Good luck. Wish we could just confine insurance companies to a dark corner and only let them out once a year. If anyone is willing to name a good insurance company that is fair and honourable, please share!
  • eilz
    eilz Posts: 354 Forumite
    impy78 wrote:
    No, you would not be covered - damp is excluded from household insurance, as is any damage caused by a gradually operating cause (over a period of time), so no, it wouldn't be covered.

Fair enough i would not be covered for DAMP, but they would at least be able to fix the leak which would stop the DAMP, right?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure