How to find out if gas is connected to street / property?

Options
Mr 29 & I viewed a 3 bed house yesterday!

Without going into the right / wrong time to buy issues, I think it's a bit of a bargain as it needs updating but nothing structural just new decor, kitchen and bathroom which I've done before in a few places.

It also needs the warm air heating system replacing and to free up kitchen space would go for a combi system but the kitchen also has an electric cooker which got me thinking there might not be gas connected to house or the street.

Is there a way to check this out easily?

Comments

• EliteHeat
    EliteHeat Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    Warm air systems run on gas, so the property already is connected for gas.
  • always29
    Options
    Thank you, EH!

I always thought warm air was electric rather than gas so that's excellent news, apart from the heating I can't stand not having gas hobs as am a bit of kitchen genius! No we just have to decide if we want to go for the house or not!!
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    I've seen both, gas and electric.
    Only sure way is to find the meter.
  • EliteHeat
    EliteHeat Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    mikey72 wrote: »
    I've seen both, gas and electric.
    Only sure way is to find the meter.

Apologies, you are quite right. Usually gas though.
  • always29
    always29 Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    Or alternatively, read the EPC properly which I did yesterday afternoon and it refers to the gas warm air system!

Does anyone have any idea how easy it would be to replace with a combi? :confused:It's in a 2 storey 70's terraced house with approx total floor area of 80sqm, the boiler is on internal walls in the kitchen so didn't notice where the flue / vent is and there is also an immersion in a cupboard in one of the bedrooms. I'd have thought it can't be impossible but then I am ever the optimist!
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    Good afternoon: Some warm air system removals are complicated by the presence of asbestos (flueing/cupboard lining) and removal of vents/heating ductwork. The OH fit a Vaillant Ecotec plus 831combi with 6 rads (copper pipe work) in a 2 bed maisonette (North Surrey) for £4500....builders on site for other works removed the ductwork (no asbestos involved)....could be an expensive proposition in a larger property.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • illzlee
    illzlee Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    under the national roads and streetworks act (NRSWA) utility suppliers are obliged to tell you if their euipment may be affected by works in the highway. if you write to transco saying you are going to put dropped kerbs/pavement crossing at the property you should get a plan back showing where their gas mains are located- free! :money: ok, cost of a stamp!
    I am a building surveyor and will provide advice based upon what you tell me. It is just that, advice and not instructions. Based on the fact you're getting it for free expect it to be vague! :D
  • Johnhowell
    Options
    Always,

Telephone Transco/British Gas and they will tell you. Friend did this and it cost only £200 to have a supply installed across his drive and a meter in the house.

NRSWA = new roads and street works act

John
  • Pssst
    Pssst Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dont bother. Transco no longer exists and British Gas have no dealings with Gas distribution. Simply look in the cupboards and find the meter,or alternatively,look outside if its in an outside meter box. If you look at the warm air unit,it should be fairly obvious if its gas. In addition,your public Gas transporter may advise you of positions of gas mains but services are a different matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure