Smoke detector going off - help!

Options
Hi all,

Hope this reads ok. Am surfing GPRS with my keyboard lit from backlight from Nintendo DS!

We're in the middle of a major power cut but the smoke detector beep has come on. It was intermittent - say every minute, now its going mental and is peeping every second. We have no power to the house and are not due electric for at least another hour. Trying to find out if I can get rid of the blasted noise so I can go back to sleep.

Edited to add: this is a hard wired smoke detector, which would beep in a power ccut, its the speed of the beep that is the problem.

Thanks night owls!
Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.

Comments

• vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Yay, power has just come back on and I can go back to sleep!

Would still like to know what the problem is if any of you know as that way I can make sure that it doesn't happen again if the power goes off.

Thanks everyone.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • shaven-monkey
    Options
    rough guess would be that the smoke alarm has a built in battery backup. When the power went out it started draining the battery and wasn't getting enough juice so decided to tell you that the battery was going flat.

Google the make of smoke alarm and you should be able to get info on how to replace the battery or deal with this problem.
    "Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves." - Norm Franz
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure