Boiler frost protection on all night?

Options
My boiler (which is in my garage) has frost protection which apparently kicks in when the temp goes below 4 degrees. Ive had a boiler man out to look at it as ive only lived here for a few months and the timer wasnt working, he said its all working properly. Its coming on and staying ALL night heating the radiators, i gather this is the frost protection working, is it meant to do this?. Is there any way i can stop it being on all night? I am worried how big my bill is going to be. Thanks
Dont allow someone to be your priority.....whilst letting you be their option

Comments

• glosman555
    Options
    The frost stat in my C/H system is located directly above the boiler in my garage. During the freezing weather it comes on for 15 minutes then go's off for an hour and then repeats the process. DO NOT turn off the frost protection otherwise the water in the boiler may freeze and crack the heat exchanger.
  • OK_Sauce
    Options
    As far as I know the Froststat just fires up the boiler if the surroundings get a bit too cold. It shouldn't heat your radiators, or indeed the hot water unless you want it too.
    "...IT'S FRUITY!"
  • spankymonkey_2
    Options
    sounds like the diverter has broken in the boiler pump
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
  • glosman555
    Options
    OK_Sauce wrote: »
    As far as I know the Froststat just fires up the boiler if the surroundings get a bit too cold. It shouldn't heat your radiators, or indeed the hot water unless you want it too.
    In my open vented system when the froststat kicks in the C/H pump also starts and will heat the rad's or the hot water depending on how the programmer is set.
  • EliteHeat
    EliteHeat Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    sounds like the diverter has broken in the boiler pump

Can you explain this one please?
  • Razor
    Razor Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    EliteHeat wrote: »
    Can you explain this one please?

You know its the one behind the doodleflange:rolleyes:

OP are you sure its the frost protection or is that just a suggestion? You need to find out which part of the system is activating the boiler.
    Mine needed a new fan so that must be whats wrong with yours:D
  • moneysavingplumber
    Options
    Frost protection should incorporate a pipe stat or sensor and circulate round the auto bypass, thereby cutting out once the pipe work has reached the required temperature and avoiding nuisance heating of the radiators, as it activates the boiler and pump and it's designed to override all other controls. Are you sure that the timer isn't set incorrectly or faulty?

If you have a 'regular' boiler then it will be an external stat and should have another stat clipped onto the common return at the point near where it re-enters the unheated area, ensuring flow and return reach a reasonable temp' before clicking off (although all pipework should be fully lagged anyway and the protection is for the boiler and not the pipework). If you have a half-decent combi the whole system should be incorporated within the boiler, although not all have frost protection as standard.
  • spankymonkey_2
    Options
    i had more or less the same problem put the water on to heat only and the rads would come on, no hot water though, under my immersion heater is a pump the switch which diverts the water to heat tank and rads was stuck so i had to have it replaced.....just a suggestion!
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
  • x_emma_x
    Options
    The boiler is a Baxi solo rs, ive had a new timer fitted as the other one was broken so am really at a loss as what to do next. The repair man said to turn the room thermostat down to get the radiators off at night but then in the morning its cold because they're off. Does it sound like its broken and should i get some1 else round to look at it?
    Dont allow someone to be your priority.....whilst letting you be their option
  • Razor
    Razor Posts: 286 Forumite
    Options
    Thats a bit confusing:confused:

You say the frost protection keeps the radiators hot all night but when you turn the room thermostat down it gets cold, sounds like its working fine???

I may be a bit thick but don't understand the problem?
    Mine needed a new fan so that must be whats wrong with yours:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport