🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Amex Platinum Application....

Options
Hi,

I applied for the Amex Platinum Credit Card, but was not given an instant decision and got mail saying I would have answer within next few days.

Has anyone had that kind of reply before but was still accepted? does not sound too good to me....

Thanks

Comments

• skyrider007
    skyrider007 Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    That kind of response usually means:

- they need to do additional checks on you
    - they want to sell you protection stuff which you didn't opt for while applying
    - they may decline you

You could always ring them to find out. Did you take note of your application reference number? It would be handy to have that number as it will speed up the process of looking for your application.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,105 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had the same response and about 7-10 days later had a phone call welcoming me to Amex and revealing my credit limit ;)

Regards
    UNDERGROUND :D
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'm very tempted to try for this card because they are offering £35 if you go through rpoints and with the 5% cashback for three months, sounds too good to miss.

Are there any downsides to having an American Express card?

It is all free isn't it? No hidden annual charge or anything like that?
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• skyrider007
    skyrider007 Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    melbury wrote: »
    Are there any downsides to having an American Express card?

It is all free isn't it? No hidden annual charge or anything like that?

- Not as widely accepted as VISA/Master
    - Absolutely no annual fee except the charge cards and BA Premium
    - Slightly uncompetitive APR (lowest at 16.9% on RED charity card)
    - Earn 5% cashback for the first three months up to a maximum of £2001.
    After the first three months you’ll earn up to 1.5% cashback, depending on how much you spend on the card. Spend under £3,500 in the year and earn 0.5% cashback. Spend between £3,501 to £10,000 and earn 1% cashback. Spend over £10,001 in the year and earn 1.5% cashback1.

Fine prints: http://www.americanexpress.com/pes/uk/benefits/pdfs/Platinum_421-R88_TandCs_Unexecuted.pdf
  • Sammy_Girl
    Sammy_Girl Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    - Earn 5% cashback for the first three months up to a maximum of £2001.

You can actually earn 5% in the first three months up to a maximum of £4000, thus giving you £200 cashback. Although you don't get that cashback until the first year anniversary of your card.

HTH
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Though Amex primary service center is based in Brighton, it sometimes routes your call to other dept based offshore.
  • I had this and still got accepted. You probably won't if you earn less than £20k
  • moneysavingallday
    Options
    Alx_B wrote: »
    It's obviously not ideal, but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be rejected. As others have said they probably just want to run some extra checks. ;)

What are these extra checks?
    I've often wondered what the "additional checks" means.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport