negotiating payments with credit card company

Options
Hi,

Just wanting some advise really if what I have done is the best way forward.

I have recently had a quite sudden and shocking family bereavement, very upsetting, lots to sort out. I am self employed so have had to take quite a bit of time off work - therefore not earning enough money. I have missed paying the mim payments on credit cards this month.

I tried to ring them and explain the situation but didn't get much joy - foriegn call centres etc.

So I have written letters explaining the situation and enclosing a token payment for the month. I have also requested if poss my interest be frozen for a short period of time. Thus enabling me to get back on track with payments.

I also added that from Jan I will be working as normal and will be bale to make up the arrears with the help of no added interest.

I am waiting for a reply so was just wondering if this was a good move and if anybody had any personal experiences with writing to credit card companies?

I am also going to try and reclaim my charges for late fees after xmas.

Many thanks for reading
:)
debt at LBM - £29163.15 :eek:
October £10/day challenge - £465.30/£310
October Shopping Challenge - £179.99/£200
October loose change - £13.59
Cashbackextreme - £15.08

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    doyda wrote: »
    I am also going to try and reclaim my charges for late fees after xmas.
    From the same people you're asking to help you now by freezing the interest/letting you pay less than the contracted amount?

Go get 'em! :rolleyes:
  • doyda
    doyda Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    is that a bad idea?
    Cashbackextreme - £15.08
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    doyda wrote: »
    is that a bad idea?
    Smacks of ungratefulness...don't you think?
  • doyda
    Options
    i was posting on here for some advice on my situation - not to be criticised about my plans - which I was also asking for advice on !!!!!!!
    Cashbackextreme - £15.08
  • LexieLou
    LexieLou Posts: 714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is a forum to chat about concerns etc, not to be critised / judged when we ask questions. I was on the receiving end of one the flippant comments from Yorkshire Boy too. Sad thing is that YB appears to be a pretty knowledgeable person and could give stonking good advice...

Ease up and give us a helping hand...

LL
    £38,000 and change to £0
  • bengal-stripe
    Options
    How would the CC know your story (or anyone else’s) is true? Many people would try it on, inventing all kind of situations, why they cannot fulfil their obligations.

As a rule, CC negotiate less than minimum pay or a freezing of interest, only after the account has been in serious trouble, having missed several payments and the credit rating has been thrashed.

Your reason for reduced payments might be genuine, the next person’s story might be completely bogus (having drunk all the money away, or whatever).

As a rule, they do not believe anyone, unless they’ve missed a few payments.
  • doyda
    Options
    Hi sorry left a bit out of my post - I have also sent a copy of the death certificate to corroborate my story.
    Cashbackextreme - £15.08
  • doyda
    Options
    lexie lou thanks for yoru comment re: yorkshireboy. I was a bit taken aback when i got his reply
    Cashbackextreme - £15.08
  • PT66
    PT66 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In my experience, getting interest frozen is difficult unless you have been in long term financial problems. Can you make a ''double'' min payment in Jan to bring your account back into line? If you can, I would not worry about the cc company, tell them that is what you are going to do, and concentrate on what is important in your life at this current time. I do not think that 1 missed payment on a credit card (loan & mortgage could be different) will adversly affect your credit history either.
  • PT66
    PT66 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to add, continue with the charges request as well - you are an account number to them not a person so 'ungratefullness' does not come into it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure